First trip to alligator point this june

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bradleycloud

First trip to alligator point this june

Post by Bradleycloud »

Just booked at house at alligator point second week of June. Bringing 20 ft Grady (thanks Dad). Hoping to put some 11 and 9 year old boys on some fish. Sounds like popping cork with gulp would work in bay and around dog island reef. Any tips on depths what to look for and such...
How far out do I need to go to get on pink mouth grunts? What kind of set up?
Kids don't care what we catch just want action. Something else we should be chasing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bluewave

Re: First trip to alligator point this june

Post by Bluewave »

you can go to the east end of Dog Island and fish the edges of the grass in around 5-8 ft water and should catch trout and blue fish
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

There should be plenty of Spanish busting bait off Alligator Point in 4 to 10 feet of water. Get some small spoons or trolling rigs and the kids should have a blast. I've caught plenty just casting into the busting pods with small spoons or small lead head jigs with white and red nylon or hair body. Curly tail jigs will work too. Anything that looks like a small minnow and moves fast.
On the grunts, you can find them in fairly close on rocky bottom or artificial reefs. 15 to 40 feet should hold all you would ever want to catch and clean.
Bradleycloud

Post by Bradleycloud »

Thanks for quick response. Squid for the grunts? Also what type of leader, hook, line?

In North Carolina I had issues with Spanish breaking lines. What kind of leader for casting spoons or jigs to them?

Thanks.