Piney Island, Oyster Bay?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Piney Island, Oyster Bay?

Post by tallykenj »

I've never fished these areas but I have thought about them. I mainly fish east and south of the lighthouse. What's Piney Island and Oyster Bay like? It seems it could be a challenge at low tide.
The Back Porch
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Piney Island, Oyster Bay?

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YEP, IS A CHALLANGE, MANY OYSTER BARS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Put in at Rock landing, fish on a rising tide to learn it. It can get real low around the duck blind.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

There's good water around the oyster bars until they are covered by the tide. After that the top part of the bar can sneak up real quick. It can go from about 8' deep to 1' in just a few feet. If you go around the island at low rising tide like Redbelly said, using your GPS, the mounds, and the way the crab pots are laid out, you'll have a good route on your GPS to follow in or out when the tide is up. Some of the shallowest water that you have to go through is right after you turn east out of the channel past Bottoms. I go past the green marker south of Bottoms before I turn east and head towards the deep hole on the west side of Piney, but there are still some thin spots before it drops off going that way.
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

After living and fishing at Oyster Bay for almost 10 years I advise you to first go with someone who lives and fishes there and pay attention.
When you first go alone go slow.

Charlie
Last edited by CAPTAIN CHARLIE on September 14th, 2014, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
springcreekman

Post by springcreekman »

Capt. Charlie is right on target about Oyster Bay. Learn the bay well before attempting on your own. Nevertheless, I don't care how well you think you know the bay, an oyster bar will find you one day.
I know from experience!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

springcreekman wrote:Capt. Charlie is right on target about Oyster Bay. Learn the bay well before attempting on your own. Nevertheless, I don't care how well you think you know the bay, an oyster bar will find you one day.
I know from experience!!
Rubbin is racin'!!
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

There's also a big sand bar that can get shallow
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Aside from the difficulty to navigate how would you folks rate the fishing? I've done pretty good accessing that area from Spring Creek and coming down into it on a kayak but haven't explored the entire area.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Hit and miss. When its on..... its amazing. About a month ago its the only place I wanted to be. Put the kayak in there a week ago and it had cooled off. I will say this though, it LOOKS better in there this year than it has in years past. Grass is lush and bait is abundant! Had some great days in there this year on the yak.
But to echo everyone above- it gets shallow quick with little rhyme or reason to the bars. Even for the kayak at times.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Most of the time I launch at Spring Creek. I was consistently catching fish until it got real hot. Then I switched to Tarpon. I've seen several kayaks there over the last few months. When it finally cools down some, fish the inside oyster bars. That's what I do when the water cools down. It's not as far for you to paddle to, either.