Help? or Never Let your Wife watch fishing shows!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Help? or Never Let your Wife watch fishing shows!

Post by zload »

OK so a while back my wife sat down and watched Addictive Fishing with me. I enjoy the show as it is usually something I can relate to rather than the guy fishing off a 50' Sport Fisher for marlin so anyway. The specific episode was near Pensacola and shows the host and guide catching Bull Redfish and "Panhandle Permit" (really big Jack Crevalle) practically on the beach in February/March and there were just tons of fish with large schools of bull reds cruising down the beach. Guide says something about they do it from October to April...

Of course they were like we got to take the hooks off the plugs we're tired of catching these huge red fish... :roll: She immediately says "I want to do that!"

I pointed out that it was late winter/early spring it would be cold, possibly wet, couldn't keep them as they are too big... she doesn't care. She wants to catch BIG Redfish. But in her boat and at a place she knows and likes to go (MB/PSJ)

Then this week I get a fishing magazine with the headline... "Bulls on the Beach" same dang guide from P'cola talking about all the reds on the beach in the panhandle. A local contact from the PSJ area says nope they were here in October no bull reds on the beaches or in the bay look for creeks and deep holes which is what I would do over here (got into them pretty good a few weeks ago) but other than the PSJ canal not much in the way of creek over there.

So I explained things to her to clarify and you guessed it we now have reservations in Port St Joe for New Years weekend to catch bull reds on the beach... :o

Doing some online research and other reading I'm thinking that Indian Pass, Cape San Blas and maybe the inlet at St Andrews Sound or mouth of PSJ bay might be an area to try? Anybody ever done that type of "drifting the beach" sight fishing over that way that can give me some hints on what structure or features to help narrow down the target area? Tides will be low in the early AM so I'm sure we could get into some of the oyster bars around Indian Pass in the bay as the tides come up but that is not what she is expecting. Also any input or guidance on the ramp at Indian Pass and accessing the gulf/bay would be appreciated!

I know I'm fortunate, got to love a woman who wants to go fishing in January so I just want it to be a good time for her(yes she has the cold weather gear and a big thermos for coffee etc. to make it comfortable)

Merry Christmas!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Help? or Never Let your Wife watch fishing shows!

Post by silverking »

Didn't see the show. Who was the featured guide fishing with Blair?

I've caught bull reds right off Pensacola Beach in the late fall. I'm sure there may be the occasional one during the winter months as well. The big schools form in deeper water and the winter fishery off Pensacola and Orange Beach can be non-stop.

I've looked for similar action in the nearshore waters off Cape San Blas but haven't found them. That's not to say they're not there, I just didn't find them on the times I went. As far as the beach, there may be a random bull roaming along Mexico Beach as well. But I suspect you'll have to look long and hard to find one.

Good luck and let us know how you do. And you might prep your wife beforehand by pointing out that the timing of fishing television shows is not always seasonally coordinated. Either that or bring a little antifreeze to add to her coffee. :wink:
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

SK the P'cola guide was Pat Dineen. The footage background reminded me of Gulf Island Nat'l Seashore off P'cola think I'll go watch it on You Tube again.

We're gonna go have have fun either way. Got some spots from some older BBF posts that are more in line with what I'd be doing at KB or the hatch but we will still spend some time drifting down the beach just to see. Also got a couple of BSB holes in the area, just a fun family fishing trip and some R&R since I'm making it a 4 day weekend. If its bad weather we'll find a movie, play cards or hit the mall in Panama City or whatever she and my daughter want to do.

I am sort of curious since I've found lots of articles about bull reds on the beach in the winter... maybe its like the no Tarpon in the Big Bend area :-D

I'll be sure and post if we have to take the hooks off the plugs :thumbup:
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I know Pat. Good guy. He's based in Destin, not Pensacola but they might have gone west to film the show.

Not trying to put up a smoke screen. Seems we're talking semantics here. When I said the beach, I meant along the shore and the adjacent troughs. The winter schools of bulls are out further but often within a mile or so of the beach. That's a good situation with north winds. The dunes knock the wind down and it's usually calm once you get out there. The bulls will also gather at times in the deeper parts of Choctawhatchee Bay, and I've caught them in the pass in Panama City pulling Stretch lures.

So they could easily be off the Cape and Mexico Beach if conditions are right. Look for bird activity. The guides to the west say the fish love the reddish sea worms that show up in the winter, so flukes or Gag's Whip-it Eels in red patterns are worth tossing. But in my experience, when the frenzy is on and individuals are competing, it doesn't really matter what you throw.

Enjoy the break and catch 'em up! And I'll let you in on another little secret--there's still no tarpon in the Big Bend! :wink:
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Thanks for the info I don't have much of anything in red soft plastic wise so I'll hit Bluewater or Half-Hitch for something when I get to PSJ can't ever have too much tackle :roll: I found the show on You Tube and you were right they were near Destin fishing right up on the beach of some State Park and it was early April but cold enough for them to be wearing jackets and shoes :lol:

Good info on the trolling I'll make sure I have a couple of trolling plugs in the boat.
2008 Yamaha 150
bman

Post by bman »

Whats the youtube link to the show?
Like SK said I've always found the true bulls in deeper water.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Topsail Beach State Park is just a little east of Sandestin.

This was a 25-pound bull taken off Pensacola Beach in mid-November a few years ago. I was fishing with Capt. Baz Yelverton for a feature for Salt Water Sportsman. Bulls will come in almost to the surf break if there's food. We also had shots at big jacks like Pat and Blair found in the clip.
Dave Lear bull red2 Nov 18, 2009.jpg
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

silverking wrote:Topsail Beach State Park is just a little east of Sandestin.

This was a 25-pound bull taken off Pensacola Beach in mid-November a few years ago. I was fishing with Capt. Baz Yelverton for a feature for Salt Water Sportsman. Bulls will come in almost to the surf break if there's food. We also had shots at big jacks like Pat and Blair found in the clip.
bull red2.jpg

Nice! Find the food find the fish... no surprise there!
2008 Yamaha 150