FWC

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woopty
Site Sponsor

Re: FWC

Post by woopty »

I appreciate them being out there.
i have a unique boat that they seem to remember so i rarely get double checked.

They used to have a sticker you could get after a safety check that would last a year made subsequent checks faster.

The only harrasment i ever had was one guy wrote me a warning because my boat number spacing was incorrect. He claimed he needed to write someone up to show his commander he was out there that day. When i pointed out to him that his boat numbers were also incorrect, i got the "dont push your luck" response.

woop
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

woopty wrote:I appreciate them being out there.
i have a unique boat that they seem to remember so i rarely get double checked.

They used to have a sticker you could get after a safety check that would last a year made subsequent checks faster.

The only harrasment i ever had was one guy wrote me a warning because my boat number spacing was incorrect. He claimed he needed to write someone up to show his commander he was out there that day. When i pointed out to him that his boat numbers were also incorrect, i got the "dont push your luck" response.

woop
I was checked at St George Island one time and the officer gave me one of those stickers to put on my boat and twice after that I had FWC officers pull up to my boat and just ask if we had any fish? I told them what we had and they thanked me and moved on.

Once at Mashes Sands we pulled up to the ramp and this young man walked over to us. He was dressed in shorts and a dirty tee shirt, he just started making conversation asked about what fish we had caught etc, we didn't have but 2 or 3 trout and told him that and told him where we caught them. He pulled his badge out of his shirt and asked if he could board the boat. He did and checked it from front to back. He asked where we were from, where we were staying, if we were coming back fishing. He held us up for quite a while.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Had that same incognito approach one day at the lighthouse ramp. Not a problem, but never even suspected he was anyone offiicial until he pulled his badge.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Not fishing, but once at Merrit Island while duck hunting. Had a guy wade up to me with a shotgun in hand. I figured he was looking for a downed duck. He asked for my gun. I said do what? Then he flashed the badge. He pulled out the shells and checked them with a magnet then he tried to slip all three of them in the magazine. His eyes lit up as the third one went in .........Right up to 1/8" from locking in. Ha Ha I had a home made plug. :lol:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Over the years I've been checked a bunch, until I registered my boat in Florida. Now I hardly ever get checked. I even used to do the coast guard safety check where they gave you a sticker. Only real stinkers was one of the two guys who hung around Keaton. The stinker was a guy name Kevin. Always seemed to be mad at the world. He was lazy and like to sit in the canal and check people. The only other problem was a WFC guy and two coasties who came into Steinhatchee on a real cold foggy morning running full bore in a no wake area. When I came in they were at the marina shooting the bull. I proceeded to take names and peel hide. They tucked tail and left. The lady behind the counter had tears running down her face she was laughing at them so hard. After they left, she asked me if I was really that mad. I told her truthfully no, but I had gotten up on a cold morning and had not had a bite so I was looking for an outlet and they gave me one.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

:lol:
travis.ouzts

Post by travis.ouzts »

The officers were all professional and the last one was even bit apologetic.
I have no problems with the officers, they are just doing their jobs.

We went back out all day Saturday and didn't get checked at all.

Must be that darned GA sticker on the boat.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

We used to always get checked fishing at the light house. One young guy tried to make a big deal over a 15.5'' trout in the box that had shrunk to 15''. Told me fish don't shrink in the icebox and measured him several times just looking for a reason to write me up. Never did, though. Ever since then, put all my smaller legal trout in the livewell, no shrinkage. :roll:
Yours in the South
KLONG
Site Sponsor

Post by KLONG »

Every time I go to the Lighthouse I get checked. Have had no problems and they are always nice. The only ticket I got was when I was returning to Shell Point where the fwc boat was at the beach watching boats (and girls) go by. He only gave me a warning for my faded sticker on the front of the boat. He said he needed something to show his boss that he was working(HA). Of course it could have been my Georgia registration too. :D
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

KLONG wrote: Of course it could have been my Georgia registration too. :D
Might be profiling. :wink:

I'm pretty sure that GA registered boats often loaded with pirates, ruffians, and carpetbaggers. In any case they are foreigners, possibly ISIS or something. Worth a check.

EJ
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

EddieJoe wrote:

I'm pretty sure that GA registered boats often loaded with pirates, ruffians, and carpetbaggers. In any case they are foreigners, possibly ISIS or something. Worth a check.

EJ

Its our fishing skills they yearn for! :smt004

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Dubble Trubble wrote:
EddieJoe wrote:

EJ

Could be, or maybe the ticket revenue.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Dubble Trubble wrote:
EddieJoe wrote:

EJ

They hope for tidbits of knowledge of our superior connoisseur tastes in wine, women, song and fishing. Unfortunately, these ruffians haven't the ability to elevate themselves that much. :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!