Common courtesy question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

milto
Site Sponsor

Common courtesy question

Post by milto »

Just wanted thoughts on what everyone thinks about how far you should be away from another boat when fishing offshore. Do you feel there is a difference between public or private numbers etc...
bman

Re: Common courtesy question

Post by bman »

On public numbers 50 yards unless they wave you over.

Private numbers... I usually buzz about 10 yards off their boat and hit the new waypoint number ;-)
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Well, Just figure out how far I can cast a 4 OZ egg sinker at your head. THAT, and add a few feet, is the distance!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I think the Do Unto Others rule applies.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

I agree with all of you guys (especially Barry with the buzz by :lol: ) I had someone not only be to where I could cast within 15 yards of their boat but also they were directly in my chum slick.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I can understand how publishing numbers makes them public, but aren't unpublished numbers still public areas. Like the charter captain who let everyone know that the reef he was fishing was his. He doesn't really hold claim to that spot like he might think does, does he? I understand the courtesy part, and understand why he would expect that people keep a distance, but the reality is that if folks are coming to fish his "private reef", it ain't private. Am I missing something there?
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

reelhandy wrote:I can understand how publishing numbers makes them public, but aren't unpublished numbers still public areas. Like the charter captain who let everyone know that the reef he was fishing was his. He doesn't really hold claim to that spot like he might think does, does he? I understand the courtesy part, and understand why he would expect that people keep a distance, but the reality is that if folks are coming to fish his "private reef", it ain't private. Am I missing something there?
Two concepts are what is "legal" and what are good fishing manners. As far as legal, there is no prohibition on pulling up to another boat, more or less, so we are talking manners.
IMO, a public number like a tower or artificial reef is kind of like the "commons", so it should be shared as long as you don't interfere with the other guys fishing and aren't real close to the boat. A number you have found yourself by spending time looking carefully isn't legally yours, but good manners would tell me to leave you alone and not approach.

That's just what I do. In the olden days, I had people literally anchor their boat within 10 yards of me, as many folks had no navigation devices and relied on using what we called "Georgia LORAN", which was heading to any anchored boat. That has changed with the use of GPS and Georgia LORAN isn't now Georgia GPS, thankfully.

But I give people room, I hope.

EJ
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

I wouldn't ride within a 100 yards of anybody anchored offshore even if I had the number. That's disrespectful and there is too much water out there. Not like it's hard to find a hump or ledge with electronics. As far as the charter captain who thinks the ocean is his, I could careless they can fish the spot on the extra days they get to fish. Dang communists. salute3
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

For those of you wanting private numbers, there is an easy way to get them without making the guy mad. Just circle the boat at a distance of say 200 yards. Then mark 4 points on your GPS at each direction N-E-S-W. Then when you get home, put the points on your PC and find the middle. Bam! You got the mark. :-D

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

For the most part, I have no problem with others anchoring close while bottom fishing on a reef, as long as it isn't directly down tide when chummng.

bman's 50 yard rule is good.

We group up with other boats sometimes and hit a number and haven't had issues with cobia or kings catching an anchor rope or lower end on a run. Not that it couldn't happen. As fun as they are to catch, I like watching others battle them too.

I don' like being so close on the flats though, probably 100yds min.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Pretty much agree with what Woopty said but would add two thoughts.

If someone's anchored near a small oyster bar I would extend the distance from 100 yards to 1/4 mile running / several hundred yards drifting.

As for offshore, I certainly understand others fishing public numbers but one reason I've increasingly started avoiding them is that so many of them have structure dumped in multiple areas and common sense (to me at least) dictates that if someone is fishing one piece of structure and there a unique second (and usually a 3rd, 4th, and 5th) set of structure that I would target a section away from the boat on anchor versus trying to use "GA LORAN." Still PLENTY of people out there who use GA LORAN, especially on calm weekend days.

To Harmsway's point, it's the "Do Unto Others" rule. Can't count the number of times I've badly been jonesing to target a particular oyster bar for redfish only to see a boat on it from afar... without exception, move on to a plan B versus crowding the other boat and spooking the fish they're targeting. :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

It is a big pond and that is my motto. Someone that pulls up on the same bar as you, or same dock as you within sight of a half dozen others is a selfish person, improperly taught by their parents about manners. I usually do not bother saying much, as if their momma and daddy could not teach them, I probably can't either.

Now with that said, I have, more than once, invited a nearby boat to join us when on a large school of reds. Told them what we were doing, what we were using and where to keep their boat. Did that once in a river and they were all rats but we were having a blast and we waved down two guys passing in a jon boat and they pulled up next to us and did the same. Stayed on them for a good 45 minutes. Lent some guys some of our tackle one time off St George.

Real simply, if you want to fish like that, just be a man (or woman) and ask. If they say no or tell you to move on, give them their space.

We pulled up to the bars at Ochlocknee one day, there were 3 boats anchored on the bars. We gave them a 100 plus yard berth. Shut down the motor early and worked in to some bars away from them-100 plus yards away, not down or up current from them. Immediately picked up a couple of reds. Were working our way in the maze and catching fish. Guess the two idjits anchored did not like it, as they picked up and motored right into the little pocket we were catching fish in and did circles. I told them what I thought of them. We moved and they anchored at another spot. When we started catching again we laughed and showed them every fish we caught! held it up so they could see it. They gave us a one finger salute, and we felt obliged to return it, every time! salute3

Here lately, it should be called uncommon courtesy, because in fishing and duck hunting and turkey hunting, it is often lacking.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
bman

Post by bman »

Had to bring this back up... Was off shore last week anchored up fishing and this guy motors up just out of casting range from us.
close2.jpg
Could hear the girl say "That is the first fish I ever caught" after bringing in a bait fish.
They caught a big ray and didnt stay too long after that.

Then this guy motors up. Your too close if I can make out your tribal ankle tattoo :-D
ca.jpg
I yelled over and said Hi - asked if he has seen this thread.
He said he would not be close to us if we weren't on fish :smt005
To be fair Capt Mike did stay out of our chum slick.

All Photos taken with A Motorola Razr Flip Phone... :smt023
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Mike always gets his fish.
The Back Porch
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Hoist Delta.
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.