feeding frenzy

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ertauber

feeding frenzy

Post by ertauber »

Got into my fish feeding frenzy of July. Birds had been circling lots of places around Dickenson bay but no fish surface action. Moved over to Mash sands as the wind came up yesterday about 1PM and the saw the action. Water was splashing, birds were flying and I was casting my white bucktail as fast as I could. Second cast hooked a nice jack, great fighters. Threw him back and casted again for four ladyfish in a row. Them I got a 24" trout. Like the fight of the jack better but that trout fillet on the table made me and my GF real happy.
Seems the frenzy only comes up when the water has a chop and the wind is blowing.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: feeding frenzy

Post by DixieReb »

I wonder if the fish underneath were pushing the bait to the top and making them jump. Would make it easy for birds to see. Glad you caught some and got dinner.
Yours in the South
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

DixieReb wrote:I wonder if the fish underneath were pushing the bait to the top and making them jump. Would make it easy for birds to see. Glad you caught some and got dinner.
A fun fact is that the gulls and terns actually use smell to find bait getting hit much more than sight. Wonderfully adapted to find food.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Interesting when that happens. Sure is a lot of fun! Thanks for the report. I'll keep my eyes open.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP