St. Marks area what's biting?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jdobbertien

St. Marks area what's biting?

Post by Jdobbertien »

I've been out of st. Marks 3 times this month fishing in the morning and scalloping in the afternoon. I have only caught 2 undersized trout in 4-6 feet of water. Has anyone had any luck inshore? What's biting right now?
Can'tCatchAnything

Re: St. Marks area what's biting?

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

the only certainty I have ever when going out is having to deal with catfish slime and unhooking sharks...
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

If fishing for fun versus food value alone, can share that bluefish, ladyfish, and spanish were attacking bait out around the stake line area yesterday. Not my typical target species but had my young nephew aboard and he loved all the action as well as seeing the interaction of bait being pushed up by swimming predators while also being attacked by birds from the air. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
ATC556

Post by ATC556 »

We launched the boat this morning from Shields around 7AM, and started fishing near the lighthouse.
We tried popping corks, topwater, suspending jerkbaits, and jigs near the bottom, and not one single bite. We also tried around several oyster bars, and grassflats east and west of the lighthouse. Still zero bites all morning. We called it a day around noon, and are at a loss. No idea why nothing was biting.
Probably didn't help that we could find live shrimp at 2 different bait shops either. But a bad day fishing is still better than most things.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Pretty weak phase of the moon this weekend. Went offshore Friday and had far less luck than a week and a half earlier when we fished the new moon, and wasn't due to lack of fish being present this weekend... fished some good spots and marked tons of bait as well as bigger fish. Just couldn't get them to feed even the least tiny little bit. Even chummed fairly heavily and didn't have bait or sharks pay much attention to the chum... very different than what we witnessed during the new moon.

This time of year the bite can change overnight. Few years ago took my brother out two consecutive days to the same exact areas and day 1 was the hottest bite I've ever witnessed. We were trying to bottom fish and couldn't get baits to the bottom for over an hour due to countless spanish, jacks, and bluefish attacking them immediately when dropped. When the upper water column attacks stopped we had great luck on the bottom bite too. Second day we didn't get a single bite. Just the way it goes sometimes. Makes the hot bite days all the more special. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Fished all day Saturday and Sunday around the St marks area and managed only 3 keepers. These were caught after lunch each day in 6 feet of water using new penny gulps under a cork.
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

Been fishing the area around Panacea and Mash Sands. Feeding frenzy everywhere. Catching blues, ladyfish, jacks, spanish but no trout or reds. Did see a school of bull reds ( monsters over 36") but couldn't get a bite. Tried the flats and did get hits on live pinfish but they bite the fish not the hook. Lots of sharks. Have fished depths from 3-20ft. water temp stayed right at 89-90 degrees. Tried Fishbites to catch pinfish and it works great. Lots of fun out there but nothing in the fry pan.