Custom Inshore Rods

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Custom Inshore Rods

Post by dombern34 »

just wanted to share a few pictures of a recent build for a member on here. would love to earn more BBF members business! if you have any questions please fill free to ask. if you are looking for that perfect action rod for trout, redfish, or anything you chase inshore, I'll be glad to build it!

don't forget, I back every rod with a lifetime warranty. so if this rod breaks in 2 weeks or 20 years. I'll build you a new rod at no cost to you.

I've built a few rods for some members on here, and haven't heard anything bad yet.

thanks for looking!

if you want to see more pictures, search facebook for Southern Custom Rods or on Instagram @SouthernCustomRods
Attachments
IMG_3403.jpg
IMG_3402.jpg
IMG_3402.jpg (84.94 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
IMG_3401.jpg
IMG_3401.jpg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
IMG_3400.jpg
IMG_3400.jpg (90.33 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
IMG_3397.jpg
IMG_3397.jpg (89.02 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
IMG_3396.jpg
IMG_3396.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
IMG_3395.jpg
IMG_3395.jpg (89.12 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Custom Inshore Rods

Post by onefishtwofish »

When did the little eyes get popular for spinners? Had a family friend build one for my brother a couple years back (he is in wheelchair and that is how he makes his money) and he used those small guides and said my bro would love them. He does.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

onefishtwofish wrote:When did the little eyes get popular for spinners? Had a family friend build one for my brother a couple years back (he is in wheelchair and that is how he makes his money) and he used those small guides and said my bro would love them. He does.
Those guides are the tangle free guides made for braid.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

in the custom rod world you can choose from Conventional guides, semi micro, micro, and now Nano (too small and brittle IMO). on this build here I went with semi micro. most people use a Braid to Fluorocarbon and that knot will get beat up in regular micro guides. so taking the guides up one size lets the knot pass with no issues, and you still get your distance and accuracy. these are Tangle free guides with them slightly bent upward, keeps the braid from wrapping up and making wind knots. Micro guides aren't popular with the older Generation of Fellas because they claim they are harder to see and putting line through. I understand and regular guides work just fine! but, if you're wanting more distance and less wind knots, this is the way to go.

another good advantage to these micros and semi micros is more guides are required for the build. if you load a 7' rod up for an example it'll probably have around 6-8 guides plus tip. with that rod loaded up there are a lot of sharp angles the line is making going from guide to guide. which kind of put's stress on the whole guide it's self. over time it causes guides to pull lose from the epoxy and blank allowing that water to get in there and rust your foot to your guide.

going with micros that 7' rod will probably have close 11-12 guides which cuts the angle's and transition from guide to guide down big time!

I could go on and on about why micro's are better than conventional guides. Of course micro's are best for every rod choice. inshore rods or freshwater rods, I would HIGHLY recommend giving them a try.
Last edited by dombern34 on July 24th, 2015, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I love mine :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Dom makes the most bad azz rods I've ever used! Gotta get it back to him so he can put his label on it. True quality and craftsmanship!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I just ordered one yesterday as a birthday present to myself. After hearing all the great reviews, I can't wait to give it a try. :thumbup:
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

fishinfool wrote:I just ordered one yesterday as a birthday present to myself. After hearing all the great reviews, I can't wait to give it a try. :thumbup:
Yeah. Let's give it a try. :D
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

That's my rod he's showing off there. I've had Dom build me 2 rods so far: a 7 foot and a 7 and a half foot medium power fast action for trout and redfish. They're hands down the best rods I've ever owned, easily better than my old St. Croix Inshore at basically the same cost. I'll be having him make me a medium-heavy pretty soon. There's not much better endorsement than saying you're coming back for thirds.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Skunk, the first one he built for me was a 7-6med-fast casting. St Croix sciii blank medium size guides with a split grip. Got it for a jig rod, I use it for everything! I am saving up for him to build me a few more. Awsome quality!!

hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Skunk, just wanted to let you know I was at dom's house tonight. I played with your rod ;). Looks sweet. Hes working on another spinner for me and then a new baitcaster. I like the heavy power modfast action. Should be a good bull red/small tarpon rod.

Skunk

Post by Skunk »

hambric85 wrote:Skunk, just wanted to let you know I was at dom's house tonight. I played with your rod ;). Looks sweet. Hes working on another spinner for me and then a new baitcaster. I like the heavy power modfast action. Should be a good bull red/small tarpon rod.

Hopefully some cobia too! Can't wait to pick it up. Dom does fantastic work.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

By years end I'll have 4 of his handywork. All St Croix blanks.

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I had 4 rods made by a former site sponsor.
When one of them broke,his exact words were "tough shit".
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Not Dom. First I use St Croix blanks that have a lifetime warranty, next Dom Bernardoni isn't the kind of guy to f you like that. His leatherneck father raised him right.