Official Scallop report thread!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

1MoreFish

Re: Official Scallop report thread!

Post by 1MoreFish »

Any reports from Lanark?
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Going to St. Marks Saturday and will post results. Have heard mixed reviews so far for folks who have gone. One good report, two with limited success and two with no success. Folks with good report did say they had to work to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jdobbertien

Post by Jdobbertien »

I went to st marks last weekend again and did a little better. There are scallops but you'll spend a full day getting a limit I'm going to go the extra 30 min to Keaton
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

We went to Keaton last weekend. Plan to spend at least an hour each way to get in and out at the ramp unless you get there at daybreak.

Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Went to St. Marks. Got about 6 gallons. It took about 3 hours and moved 4 times. Water was less clear than at Keaton. Scallops were smaller than at Keaton bug had decent meat.

lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

got a late start yesterday. Hit the road at 9:30 and made it down to Keaton around 11. On the water at 11:30 and wet before noon. We missed the low tide, and when we started looking it was about 4-5' at our most shallow stop. We moved several times in search of the needle grass beds, which we found a few times. Most of what we saw was the long sea grass with the scallops sitting flat on the bottom. Visibility was good looking down from the boat, but more cloudy than I expected once in the water. We finished about 4 when most of the other boats were already gone and we were having to dive down 6-8' to look for the scallops.

We ended up with about 3-4 gallons for 4 people looking. I will admit up front I really am not very good at spotting the scallops. I think we would have done much better if we had gotten there a bit before low tide. Size was really good, we got enough meat for two dishes to serve four.

We had some more fun on the way home when a trailer tire threw the tread. Be sure to check your tires and plan on replacing them every third year or sooner. Cost of ownership. In light of that, I can give a glowing endorsement of the Power Tank, http://powertank.com/. I picked one up last week, and it had plenty of oomph to run my impact wrench and dislodge some really stubborn lug bolts. It has now become an important piece of my kit for any time I'm on a road trip.
850-273-8818
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

Went to St. Marks Sunday 7/19. Not many boats scalloping for a summer weekend day, and not many swimmers at the sandbar. Two of us got about 4 gallons over a couple of hours, but we had to work for them, they were mostly deep in the grass and hard to spot. Nice meat in the ones we got.
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Wife and I went out on St. Joe Bay Saturday morning. Our first stop we were able to get a 2-person limit in about an hour at a spot near Black's Island but they were very small for the most part. We then checked out a couple of other spots that were good last year and did find some larger scallops (probably last year's crop) but they were few and far between. So, it looks like it's real hit and miss this year and we just got lucky with our first stop.

I know it's still early in the season but the scallops we got were the smallest I can recall for this time of year. Took me forever to clean them and then there were just little bitty pieces of meat. Still, we had a good meal and a great time on the water. Even with all the recent rain in that area, the water was crystal clear in the shallows and only a little murky in the deeper pot holes.
1MoreFish

Post by 1MoreFish »

I took my son and the kayaks to Lanark on Saturday. We put in at 8:00 Saturday morning for a half-hearted fishing effort (only some near-misses on a Spook Jr. and one catfish on a Gulp under a popping cork) then paddled 2.5 miles east to find scallops. After unsuccessfully scouting for the critters from our boats, we had no better luck with masks on in the water. When we were about to give up, a friendly couple advised walking and locating them with our feet and there they were - on the bottom where we just couldn't see them. It wasn't the easiest scalloping trip (I'm not a big fan of the blind-grab-in-the-mud method), but we came back with a meal for each of us.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

1MoreFish wrote:I took my son and the kayaks to Lanark on Saturday. We put in at 8:00 Saturday morning for a half-hearted fishing effort (only some near-misses on a Spook Jr. and one catfish on a Gulp under a popping cork) then paddled 2.5 miles east to find scallops. After unsuccessfully scouting for the critters from our boats, we had no better luck with masks on in the water. When we were about to give up, a friendly couple advised walking and locating them with our feet and there they were - on the bottom where we just couldn't see them. It wasn't the easiest scalloping trip (I'm not a big fan of the blind-grab-in-the-mud method), but we came back with a meal for each of us.
Hmmm ....was that a scallop, urchin or crab? Let's grab it and find out. Yeow! Lol.

Jdobbertien

Post by Jdobbertien »

Anyone been out of st marks recently? Any scallops left around?
tcoram

Post by tcoram »

Went to St. Marks Sunday, 4 adults on boat with one 14 year old and one 18 mo. old moved twice and came home with seven gallons to clean. best thing about the day was how my grandson stayed in float ring playing for the full 3 hours it took to get the Scallops a true fisherman and scallop hunter in the making.
rockytoprunner

Post by rockytoprunner »

Can anyone give me a recent scallop report? Anyone been to Keaton, Dekle or Adams Beach in the last few days? Are there any scallops at all down toward Steinhatchee? Thanks for your input. This is our second scalloping trip and hoping for nice weather tomorrow morning. Last year was our first ever trip and the weather was not ideal.
sgasalty

Post by sgasalty »

When does the season go out? Do yall think I could take the jon boat strait out of yates creek and get em?
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I went around dekle yesterday and they were very sparse from just north of dekle south, I'd head up towards jabo creek.