Kerplunk Went The Teramar

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Kerplunk Went The Teramar

Post by Harmsway »

Finally cleaned up the kayaks, so I invited my cousin to take them fishing at Shell Point.

He left his rod and reel at home, so I loaned him one of mine. Not my best, but not my worst either.

We paddled out to the long bar, and, on his first cast, BAM. Nice keeper trout.

I grinned to myself, "This is what I've been waiting for," I thought, "We're gonna slay them." So I get busy.

I heard cuz's fish flopping around in his kayak. Grinned again, "Rookie." "I wonder if he's gonna keep it, or let it go," I thought.

Rattle, rattle . . Kerplunk!

"Kerpkunk?", I thought. "Kerplunk! That sounded like . . ." Hey, Will! That fish knocked you rod and reel in the water.

"Darn fish," I thought. Well, that's not exactly what I thought (not even close).

To be fair, it crossed my mind earlier not to loan one that I wasn't prepared to lose. So I didn't. But, still, it was like losing a close friend.

Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to snag it with a jighead. No luck. But, I did learn that puffer fish will chase a bare jighead. Who wudda thunk it.

Couldn't stick around for low tide to expose it. Reluctantly resolved to chalk it up to "thats life" "shot happens", and headed back to the hill.

I bet somebody finds it. I hope they catch many fish with it.

Shimano Teramar 6.5' MF. Quantum Catalyst spinning reel (I think). Vudu shrimp under pink popping cork (don't judge me).
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Kerplunk Went The Teramar

Post by fishinfool »

Kerplunk is a heartbreaking sound.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Dude...right behind the Kerplunk should have been a large splash created by your buddy going after it.

I've dropped a bunch of combos in the water, but lost very few.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Steve Stinson wrote:Dude...right behind the Kerplunk should have been a large splash created by your buddy going after it.

I've dropped a bunch of combos in the water, but lost very few.
Exactly. Hell, I've jumped in a river to get a 4.00 jig back from a log. A rod and reel? Less than 15-20 feet, hold my cellphone, I'm going in after it.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I splashed in over a brass measuring stick. I like that measuring stick.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Splashing always leads to great stories.

My brother in law, niece and I were trolling for kings in about 30 feet of water off Tarpon Springs one year when we got a double hook up (my niece and I manning the rods, Brother in law is driving the boat). I set the hook and backed up a couple steps only to back into my brother in laws brand new combo in the rod holder. Sure enough, "KERPLUNK" - over the side it goes. I glanced over and saw it sinking at a slow rate, then quickly handed my rod to my niece and dove over the side. My niece now has two rods and two kings on at the same time and can reel neither rod. Brother in law is trying to get the boat stopped and hollering something I couldn't make out from under water. I was swimming downward as hard as I could go and gaining on the sinking rod combo.

I finally grabbed the wayward rod combo in my hand and turned back toward the surface. After going about 10 feet upward, I passed my sunglasses on their way to the bottom (they must have been on my head when I dove in). Quick stop to grab the glasses and put them in my mouth, then I returned to the surface for a badly needed breath of air. Brother in law had the boat stopped nearby and helped me aboard, after which we successfully landed both kings.

And that is the correct ending to a Kerplunk story - Never let it end with the Kerplunk not being followed by the Splash. :thumbup:
KLONG
Site Sponsor

Post by KLONG »

Someone at Shell Point will enjoy using that rig. :D
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I won a new Teramar rod in the CCA Star tourney. Delivery in Tally on Oct 20. Will knock at least a third off retail price if you are interested.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

GaryDroze wrote:I won a new Teramar rod in the CCA Star tourney. Delivery in Tally on Oct 20. Will knock at least a third off retail price if you are interested.

Has it been baptized yet? :-D
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Nope. That and a brand new Shimano Saros 4000 spinning reel that was part of the 4th place prize are up for sale. I would not know what to do with a $139+tax reel and a $119+tax rod. Will sell for $95 and $75 firm.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GaryDroze wrote:Nope. That and a brand new Shimano Saros 4000 spinning reel that was part of the 4th place prize are up for sale. I would not know what to do with a $139+tax reel and a $119+tax rod. Will sell for $95 and $75 firm.
You could use it, maintain it well and use it for 10-15+ years. I still have 2 stradics that are 15 years old and still going strong
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Just can't abide owning a rod/reel combo that exceeds the price I've paid for any of my craigslist-bought kayaks and canoes.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GaryDroze wrote:Just can't abide owning a rod/reel combo that exceeds the price I've paid for any of my craigslist-bought kayaks and canoes.
You already own it Gary, if it doesn't sell( which it will at that price), treat yourself. With the work you put in to winning tournaments, you deserve it. :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

I'm willing to take it off your hand for 150 if that's cool with u. Would like to have it as a backup.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

$170 firm for the combo. That's $100 less than cheapest I've seen on the internet, AND exactly what I paid to buy my wife a new power-flush commode. Happy wife = more fishing time.