Crazy launching at Aucilla?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke22

Crazy launching at Aucilla?

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I like many of you have heard how treacherous the Aucilla can be to navigate esp. on a low tide. Well I was amazed at what I saw there Sat. morning. At around dead low or just after low tide(-.05) we witnessed a 22' Skeeter with a F250 safely unload. We all watched thinking this guy is either crazy as hell or a pro on this river. Must have been a pro because after we loaded out that afternoon he was at the ramp about to load up.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
One Keeper

Re: Crazy launching at Aucilla?

Post by One Keeper »

Yep, Crazy! He came by Econfina Creek Saturday morning while we were sitting there waiting on water. Nice rig but not the right one for these winter tides. :-D
2true

Post by 2true »

Its amazing what you can do with a Jack plate and a Tunnel Hull... ;-)
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

That was not a tunnel hull.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Aucilla is a funny place. I've seen a bass boat tear ass at 50mph all the way out the mouth and onto the flats at a dead low tide without touching a thing and I've seen someone idle from the boat ramp to the mouth on the same tide and still bump 3 rocks. Luck is a hell of a thing, but it don't last forever :o
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Running Aucilla is all about becoming one with the rock goddess. You must feel the force or you will fill the rock. I fished out there years ago with a kid who raised at the rise. He wasn't afraid at all.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

J Holden wrote:Aucilla is a funny place. I've seen a bass boat tear ass at 50mph all the way out the mouth and onto the flats at a dead low tide without touching a thing and I've seen someone idle from the boat ramp to the mouth on the same tide and still bump 3 rocks. Luck is a hell of a thing, but it don't last forever :o
A boat on plane sits quite a bit higher out of the water than one at idle. That said, it takes balls to go out the Aucilla at 50 mph on low tide!
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Knew a local guy who could run the Aucilla at night at low tide. Did it many times with him.
He steered by by the silhouette of the tree tops and once we got to the mouth knew where not to go.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

woopty wrote:Knew a local guy who could run the Aucilla at night at low tide. Did it many times with him.
He steered by by the silhouette of the tree tops and once we got to the mouth knew where not to go.
That knowledge would have come in handy back during the square grouper "season" :wink:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Salty Gator wrote:
woopty wrote:Knew a local guy who could run the Aucilla at night at low tide. Did it many times with him.
That knowledge would have come in handy back during the square grouper "season" :wink:
Could be that it was !! :smt004