New to the area, looking for knowledge.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishfullThinking

New to the area, looking for knowledge.

Post by FishfullThinking »

Just moved to the Crawfordville area, and am from the Texas coastal region. Inshore trout, redfish, and flounder type fisherman. Work out of state but coming in over labor day for a week. Looking for some solid wade fishing areas. Boat shopping now but until then I need my fishing fix. Will be my first time fishing the region. I see all the regular published areas but was hoping to get some help from some experienced guys or gals.
Two areas that intrigue me are the backside of St. George and Bald Point. In google earth are those grass flats on backside of St. George, east end/rattlesnake cove? Does that area hold fish this time of year? Are the St. Marks flats all they are cracked up to be?
Any input or advise would really be appreciated on the Panacea, Alligator point, Carrabelle areas for wading.
Thank you.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: New to the area, looking for knowledge.

Post by silverking »

Hot water, floating grass and run-off have been factors lately, but there are some good spots to try wade fishing.

Yes, the backside of SGI can be very good. Crystal clear normally. The east end is all state park, though, and unless you have an annual pass you can't get in until the gate opens after sunrise. Pass holders can get the lock combo.

Bald Point is another productive area, with oyster bars, strong currents and murkier water. All three species you mentioned, plus black drum.

Limited wade access at St. Marks, but excellent fishing once you get your boat.

For your upcoming trip, use Google Earth to check out the shoreline along the north shore of Alligator Harbor (off Hwy 98), west of Lanark Village or west of Carrabelle near Yent Bayou. Topwater early and weedless spoons or shrimp lures once the sun gets on up there.

Good luck and welcome to the zoo!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Welcome, looks like Capt Dave has you covered. Good luck. If your boat shopping, take a look at Big Bend Marine in Perry. Out of the way, but great selection and great service. Also a family business with 3 generations of Morgan's working there.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Should add, meant limited access at the St. Marks Lighthouse. Couple places off the boat ramp canal jetty, long bar or out front, but the better areas east and west are best accessed by boat. Unless you're the Crazy Coach, aka Gary Droze, who slogs through lizard zones and consistently does well in the back creeks of the refuge. He might chime in here. Word to the wise, though: If he offers to let you tag along, make sure your insurance premiums are paid in full. :lol:

There are several businesses that rent kayaks (including on St. George and near St. Marks), which will extend your range considerably until you do find your dream boat.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
youngbearman

Post by youngbearman »

If I were you, out of Crawfordville, I would do a 24 or 48 hour rental of a Hobie Pro Angler from Wilderness Way on Shadeville Rd and Woodville Highway, put in at the Pebble Court landing on the southern tip of Shell Point and fish the bars and holes around Smith, Gull and Palmetto islands. Reds have been hard to find in many typically great areas but the reports from this area have been good. Later in the morning you can head further out and go for trout off the deeper drop offs.
FishfullThinking

silverking wrote:Hot water, floating grass and run-off have been factors lately, but there are some good spots to try wade fishing.

Yes, the backside of SGI can be very good. Crystal clear normally. The east end is all state park, though, and unless you have an annual pass you can't get in until the gate opens after sunrise. Pass holders can get the lock combo.

Bald Point is another productive area, with oyster bars, strong currents and murkier water. All three species you mentioned, plus black drum.

Limited wade access at St. Marks, but excellent fishing once you get your boat.

For your upcoming trip, use Google Earth to check out the shoreline along the north shore of Alligator Harbor (off Hwy 98), west of Lanark Village or west of Carrabelle near Yent Bayou. Topwater early and weedless spoons or shrimp lures once the sun gets on up there.

Good luck and welcome to the zoo!

Thanks for all the great input Silverking. The Yent Bayou area looks promising with easy access. Will try it.
FishfullThinking

Salty Gator wrote:Welcome, looks like Capt Dave has you covered. Good luck. If your boat shopping, take a look at Big Bend Marine in Perry. Out of the way, but great selection and great service. Also a family business with 3 generations of Morgan's working there.
Thank you. Will definitely check them out.
FishfullThinking

youngbearman wrote:If I were you, out of Crawfordville, I would do a 24 or 48 hour rental of a Hobie Pro Angler from Wilderness Way on Shadeville Rd and Woodville Highway, put in at the Pebble Court landing on the southern tip of Shell Point and fish the bars and holes around Smith, Gull and Palmetto islands. Reds have been hard to find in many typically great areas but the reports from this area have been good. Later in the morning you can head further out and go for trout off the deeper drop offs.
Thanks so much for the input. Looking more for some quick hit trips this time around. Been awhile since I have seen the wife and kids. She might shoot me if I were to go solo, all day excursions without them. Great option for my Thanksgiving trip home though. Thanks
FishfullThinking

silverking wrote:Should add, meant limited access at the St. Marks Lighthouse. Couple places off the boat ramp canal jetty, long bar or out front, but the better areas east and west are best accessed by boat. Unless you're the Crazy Coach, aka Gary Droze, who slogs through lizard zones and consistently does well in the back creeks of the refuge. He might chime in here. Word to the wise, though: If he offers to let you tag along, make sure your insurance premiums are paid in full. :lol:

There are several businesses that rent kayaks (including on St. George and near St. Marks), which will extend your range considerably until you do find your dream boat.
Yep, used to do alot of that duck hunting in Texas. Always seemed to be with men alot younger and more gung ho then I was. My heart couldn't take that anymore.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

youngbearman wrote:If I were you, out of Crawfordville, I would do a 24 or 48 hour rental of a Hobie Pro Angler from Wilderness Way on Shadeville Rd and Woodville Highway, put in at the Pebble Court landing on the southern tip of Shell Point and fish the bars and holes around Smith, Gull and Palmetto islands. Reds have been hard to find in many typically great areas but the reports from this area have been good. Later in the morning you can head further out and go for trout off the deeper drop offs.
Texas Guys like to wade Tommy, need to feel mud between the toes. I bet dollars to doughnuts he throws bait casters. Welcome aboard FT :beer:
Most of the wade spots mentioned will have a little sandy beach for the wife and young uns to relax/ play. Depending on tide, you won't have to wade very far from them. Bald point and St George in particular . Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

The wakulla beach area is the only place i've had any luck wade fishing.. I like the area to the west of the boat ramp. Head due west and slightly north and you'll hit a productive oyster bar for trout and reds.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Picked up a 24.5" redfish on a fiddler crab this evening while wadefishing Horns Creek (first major creek east of the St. Marks lighthouse). Creek temps right now are a bit high for big trout, but the reds don't care. Lots of slots to be had. Inspect satellite maps for the bends with dropoffs/grass in the creek. That's where the reds hang out. Last hour of outgoing tide seems to work best. Dave Lear is a fine outdoor writer, which means he embellishes reality and overstates danger. There are only about a half dozen gators in Horns Creek, and they are mostly aggressive only during mating season, which is now history for 2016. I have been attacked just twice in the entire two decades I've fished Horns, and both times were my fault (hint: get off the creek before sundown).

That said, while Horns is a great wading creek, it features an impressive population of big stingrays. Look before you step.
FishfullThinking

Salty Gator wrote:
Texas Guys like to wade Tommy, need to feel mud between the toes. I bet dollars to doughnuts he throws bait casters. Welcome aboard FT :beer:
Most of the wade spots mentioned will have a little sandy beach for the wife and young uns to relax/ play. Depending on tide, you won't have to wade very far from them. Bald point and St George in particular . Good luck
Yes Sir, baitcaster :thumbup:
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

GaryDroze wrote: Dave Lear is a fine outdoor writer, which means he embellishes reality and overstates danger.
Wading miles thru a muddy creek full of large stingrays. Eye to eye in the water with full grown gators. Alone. Dave is definitely embellishing. lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
FishfullThinking

Wanted to follow up and thank you all for your input. I did use the advise and get out a couple of times during my trip home. I was scheduled to fly in Sept 2...the day Hermine came calling. I wasnt feeling real good about the wife and kids going through that nor the possibility of even being able to get in to Tally during a hurricane. Called the airline to move flight up and to my amazement they didnt even charge me the typical $150-200 to move my flight. Anyway, knew the fishing wouldn't be that great so scaled my fishing plans back.
Took my two oldest girls (7&11) out one afternoon during a good incoming tide to a pier off 98 just east of Carrabelle. They threw live shrimp under cajun thunders. Pretty fast and furious action for them. I was trying to throw corkies but soon gave up when i realized i was there to unhook their fish and bait hooks. They have a lesson coming on the next trip out!!! Bunches of undersize specs, two legals, (released) some sand trout, and several lady fish. They had a blast.
Couple days later I waded the Yents bayou area on a good incoming. Got in before daylight and threw skitterwalks early and then corkies. Released bunches of undersized specs. Landed three over 15 and a forth that was 22, all released. Got about 4-5 cranks in on a very nice spec off a skitterwalk. Saw her strike, thought I got a good hook set, she swirled again to show herself then slack. Cant remember ever having one swirl like that after a hook set and 4-5 cranks.
Toward the end I was in just over waist deep and noticed movement off to my left. About a 3-1/2 foot ray gliding by within arms reach. Doubled down on the shuffling coming back in.
Anyway, got my fishing fix for now and was thankful Hermine didn't screw things up more then it did. Thanks again for all your inputs, it really helped.