Keeping warm

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Can'tCatchAnything

Keeping warm

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I do all of my fishing out of a kayak and it's getting chilly! I've been wearing long trekking pants, the customary long sleeves PFG shirts and buff, but this wind and cold is getting to me. I tried thermal shirts, and they don't dry quick enough. And I don't want to ruin my nicer coats by kayaking in them.

Any suggestions for keeping warm? If it's going to be cold until March, I may invest in a dedicated kayak fishing jacket but nothing too pricey. Any models to recommend and features to be aware of?

Thanks for any information folks.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Keeping warm

Post by silverking »

I went through several options when I started fishing the kayak since the majority of my time in it was during the winter months. Started out with a Frogg Toggs camo rain suit. I wore the rain pants over a pair of lightweight pants and they not only kept my legs dry from dripping paddles, they were also good wind-breakers. The jacket was compact enough that I could roll it up and keep it in my dry box. I'd did break it out on occasion when it was foggy or especially chilly, but most of the time I wore a flannel shirt and a fleece pull-over. Not too hot, stayed warm and didn't restrict movement.

Although you can find Frogg Toggs on clearance on eBay and other outlets, they didn't last much longer than a season. Got tired of replacing them, so I finally settled on a nice Gore-Tex rain suit from Bass Pro. Has held up well, repeals water and keeps me warm. The jacket is also packable. If memory serves, it was about $180 for the set.

I will normally wear LL Bean duck shoes too, but when it gets really cold I switch to Redhead rubber hunting boats. Saves feet from getting wet when launching on those super low tides or if you get stuck and have to get out and drag the yak.

For a dry box I found a Pelican knock-off online and added a couple quick-lock nylon straps to my aft bulkhead. The straps go through the box handle to keep it secure and the capacity is large enough to hold wallet, keys, phone, handheld GPS and the jacket.

Took me awhile to experiment and come up with solutions for my Native Watercraft 14.5 Ultimate, but this is what's worked out best for me. I also designed and had a custom fish bag made that rides in stern. Keeps ice all day.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Just got a West Marine flyer in the mail today. Their Black Friday sale starts 11/24 and they're selling WM Third Reef foul weather gear for 50% off. Bibs and jackets.

Also some good buys on electronics, binoculars and inflatable life jackets for anyone needing new gear or gift ideas.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Capt Ron

Post by Capt Ron »

Fleece under a rain suit. I wore fleece tops and bottoms under a Cabela's Guide Wear rain suit, in the winter, chasing stripers on Lanier. Many mornings were low teens and at 30+ mph you know if you have any leaks.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I bought a "shorty" wet suit. Water skiers wear this in cool weather, has short sleeves and legs. Wear my regular clothes over it.
I wear neoprene socks too that I bought for fly fishing, they keep the feet warm inside my crocs.
Works for me!
Can'tCatchAnything

Thanks for responses and information!

It looks like a trip to Goodwill for old fleece sweaters and perusing online for rain suits is in order.

I like the rubber boots suggestion too, my old sneakers barely protect against oysters and shells.

CC, I'll look into a wetsuit as well but I dount I'll be squeezing into one until well after the holidays.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Long underwear made of synthetic material( like polypropylene) will dry quickly. That's what I wear under layers
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Bubba_1122

Post by Bubba_1122 »

I learned many years ago in the Superior Quetico boundary waters in Minnesota and Canada that the best way to keep warm when you're wet is to wear wool. Keeps you warm even when it's wet.

Wool and polypropelene are always part of my cold weather layering plan.

Probably sounds crazy, but I buy wool sweaters at Jos Banks in March and April (can find $100 sweaters for $20 if you pay attention). My heavier sweaters typically come from LL Bean.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Rivers West Rain jacket. They have a long tail which is nice when sitting down. The reality of jackets are you can have breathable, or you can have waterproof, but you can't have both (forever). Rivers West is waterproof and has a 10 year warranty. It is not breathable. There are gussets under the pits, but when it is above the 40s, you do not want this jacket. I have worn it in the rain in the upper 30s, and to the low 30s. It cuts the wind. very well. Amazingly warm for it's fairly slimmer fit. Layered with a breathable shirt underneath, a wool shirt over and the jacket and you will be warm. Add some fingerless wool mitts and you will be warm as you can. I use it in the Canada on the prairies where 35 degrees and a 20 mph steady wind is the norm.

The one downside is the jacket gets heavy when wet-still warm, but heavy if soaked to the bone (you will be dry). It is not for a multi day camping trip as unless it is brought inside it will not dry adequately. takes 12 hours for it to dry.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Wool sweaters with a wind lining are aces. I use a Browning full zip on cold days, and an old Cabelas wind liner sweater on the really cold days. I use technical breathable long john top, wool shirt, wool wind liner sweater and on the really cold or wet days, a drake external shell. I take the shell in the field and only use it on days where the wind is howling and the temps are in the 20s. Sounds bulky but it is not for shooting, so fishing would work too.
Can'tCatchAnything

So unofficially, I think I'll try a few pairs of the Frogg Togg bibs to wear over my pants. That should keep me dry from water coming up from scuppers.

T shirt, old Goodwill hoodie worked last time. I'll try a Frogg Toggs rain jacket as wind barrier next time.

I like the FTs ideally as I tend to crumple and throw in a crate in the hatchback until the next time I go out. Relatively cheap, light, and gives me an idea what to upgrade to in the future.

Thanks again for suggestions guys! Some of these set ups sounds serious for keeping warm in the worst of conditions.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I have a Frogg togg too and love it. Just not warm, but will cut the wind. Just layer under it and you will be gravy.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Silk gloves and socks, 1st layer UnderArmor Cold Gear bottom and top , longsleeve turtleneck knit top, breathable waders with sewn-in neoprene footies and wading shoes, Glacier Gloves, knit cap + buff or full face/head balaclava, outer upper layer pull-over fleece, FroggToggs rainproof/windproof jacket (if needed).
No cotton!
No wool on my kayak: wool is warm but "wet" wool is VERY heavy.
Warmer packs (like YakTrax) can come in handy.