Z-man scented shrimp VS Gulp

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Post by bbb »

Just thought I'd share this for anyone else with kids going broke buying Gulp.

BPS employee recommended the Z-man shrimp scented bodies over the Gulp. I bought 3 bags.

I've fished with them 4 trips. One trip I caught over 30 trout on the same body while my son and his buddy went through a whole tub of gulp.

Yesterday I used 1 bait all day and caught 50% of the fish. The other 3 guys went through about 12 gulp bodies. A couple of the brand new bodies got bit in half by puffers on the first cast.

So 4 trips in, out of those 3 bags of Z-man, 15 baits, I still have 12 baits left. Not bad for $3.99 a bag.

The bodies are extremely durable, but they are soft and stretchy.

Plus you can leave them on the jig head in between trips and they don't dry out like Gulp.
Dixie Dawg

Re: Z-man scented shrimp VS Gulp

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Did people catch trout before gulp was invented? I can't remember.

But seriously I'm all about z man especially during the summer with all the pinfish. Only thing I don't like about them is they are so light you almost have to go up in lead size to get a good long cast.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

We were catching trout a month ago or so and I had two DOA shrimp in white in my bag. nephew used them and caught trout 2-1 over me and brother both using white Gulp shad.

Anyone remember the old paddle tail Trout Magic soft baits from the mid 90s? I think they were made here locally. The red and white marble paddle tail was absolutely deadly on redfish in the spring. very good on trout too. We found the best ones were mostly white, with some red marbled in.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I think it was the Z man I tried one time. Are they the ones that are really rubbery? I fish a Cabelas sea striker jig head (no longer made) that have a 3 bump collar on them. I really like the way the bait works on them, as they are the ones that the bait drops more vertical than a standard jig head. Anyway, the Z man (pretty sure it was them) did not stay on that jig head worth a flip. Just kept slipping off and I gave up on them (liked the head more than the bait at the time). I may need to give them another shot and find the angled keeper type jig heads to use for that bait. I am sure not married to Gulps!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
bbb

Post by bbb »

onefishtwofish wrote:I think it was the Z man I tried one time. Are they the ones that are really rubbery? I fish a Cabelas sea striker jig head (no longer made) that have a 3 bump collar on them. I really like the way the bait works on them, as they are the ones that the bait drops more vertical than a standard jig head. Anyway, the Z man (pretty sure it was them) did not stay on that jig head worth a flip. Just kept slipping off and I gave up on them (liked the head more than the bait at the time). I may need to give them another shot and find the angled keeper type jig heads to use for that bait. I am sure not married to Gulps!
Yes the Z-man bait it very "rubbery". I like using the jig head with the 2 wire keepers though I clip one of them off. If I don't the bait won't slide up enough.

I saw some of the old red/white paddle tail grubs the other day and bought a pack. Never caught a red on them but caught plenty of trout. They are backup if the gulp runs out and there's still time to fish. Think they were $1.99 for 10. Now we are paying $1 per gulp.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've tried the Z-Man lures a few times and caught fish on them, but that material is so rubbery it's more trouble than it's worth for me to thread on to a jig head. No denying they work, though.

Don't use Gulp!

A few anecdotes...

Gulp! was tested at the FSU Marine Lab in St. Teresa. I interviewed the Berkley designer one time and like Coke, he wouldn't divulge the secret ingredient, but fairly certain it's menhaden oil.

DOA shrimp are infused with aquaculture-raised grass shrimp, so they do have some scent in addition to life-like action. But as Mark Nichols, DOA president, likes to say, "fish them slower than evolution!" :wink:

Pro-Cure Bait Gels are made with real crushed baits. They have a new Pinfish flavor out now, but the shrimp and mullet gels are very effective for adding real scent to standard plastic jigs and plugs. It stays on several minutes before it needs to be re-applied.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Dixie Dawg wrote:...Only thing I don't like about them is they are so light you almost have to go up in lead size to get a good long cast.
EZ KeeperZ from Z-Man. Works great! Weighted for increased casting distance.
https://zmanfishing.com/store/categorie ... ez_keeperz

Gulp!...effective, however, because they're woefully deficient in durability and longevity, they're not cost-effective.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I like me a DOA CAL shad in glow and I fish with it almost exclusively, with little or no weight. They naturally sink. I fish the 3 inch glow shad maybe 70% of the time. I've out fished my buddies who were using Gulp while sitting in the same crappy gheenoe so DOA for sure works, just mostly in the operator to make it work.

Tried the Zman once and caught some fish with it, very rubbery, hard to thread on a jighead, and naturally buoyant. I like a 5inch jerkshad on a 1/8 oz wide gap jig. I wasn't convinced to try it again over DOA.

I started out using Gulp! but I'm done with the juice in my kayak, on my clothes, in my hatchback, everywhere. No more thanks, I'll throw my cast net if I'm looking for a messy time.
bbb

Post by bbb »

2Salty wrote:
EZ KeeperZ from Z-Man. Works great! Weighted for increased casting distance.
https://zmanfishing.com/store/categorie ... ez_keeperz

I'll have to check those out.

I'm using the Offshore Angler head that have the 2 wire keepers. 1/4 ounce. Live shrimp stay on em really good. I have to snip one of the keepers off for the Z man baits, but once the bait slides over the wire, it stays on for weeks.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Zman is my go to baits, especially when dealing with pins. Zman sells specific jig heads for their baits for pretty cheap and they don't have a problem holding the baits on.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Maybe here's a good place to ask this question:

With soft plastics what's the advantage of using jig heads vs. extra-wide gap hooks (un-weighted or weighted)?

Where I typically fish there may be grasses, oyster or rock - sometimes all 3. In addition at certain times of year there may be "free" grass on the surface or sub-surface. When fishing soft plastics with the hook tip exposed I was too frequently aggravated with hang-ups and snagging (especially when trying to go slower to "bump the bottom") as well as gathering grass.

I switched to rigging soft plastics on EWG hooks - sometimes weighted, sometimes un-weighted, sometimes un-weighted with a bullet weight before the EWG hook. The EWG hooks haven't completely eliminated hang-ups, snags, and gathering of free grass but the EWG hooks have greatly reduced the problems I've had with the exposed hook of a jig head. More time for casting/retrieving less time dealing with hang-ups/snags - and re-tying. Less loss of terminal tackle (jig heads) and soft plastics.

EWG hooks aren't significantly less or more costly than jig heads. I can't say that fish are significantly less or more attracted to a soft plastic on an EWG hook vs. a jig head. Nor can I say that firm, solid hook-ups are significantly different.

[When fishing natural baits, i.e., cut crab or cut mullet, live finger mullet, mud minnows, shrimp I use circle hooks under an adjustable length slip float rig. If weight is needed I'll add split shot before the circle hook.]

Since switching to EWG HOOKS I now have a tackle box filled with jig heads that's collecting cob webs and dust. What am I missing about jig heads?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

2Salty wrote:Maybe here's a good place to ask this question:

With soft plastics what's the advantage of using jig heads vs. extra-wide gap hooks (un-weighted or weighted)?

Where I typically fish there may be grasses, oyster or rock - sometimes all 3. In addition at certain times of year there may be "free" grass on the surface or sub-surface. When fishing soft plastics with the hook tip exposed I was too frequently aggravated with hang-ups and snagging (especially when trying to go slower to "bump the bottom") as well as gathering grass.

I switched to rigging soft plastics on EWG hooks - sometimes weighted, sometimes un-weighted, sometimes un-weighted with a bullet weight before the EWG hook. The EWG hooks haven't completely eliminated hang-ups, snags, and gathering of free grass but the EWG hooks have greatly reduced the problems I've had with the exposed hook of a jig head. More time for casting/retrieving less time dealing with hang-ups/snags - and re-tying. Less loss of terminal tackle (jig heads) and soft plastics.

EWG hooks aren't significantly less or more costly than jig heads. I can't say that fish are significantly less or more attracted to a soft plastic on an EWG hook vs. a jig head. Nor can I say that firm, solid hook-ups are significantly different.

[When fishing natural baits, i.e., cut crab or cut mullet, live finger mullet, mud minnows, shrimp I use circle hooks under an adjustable length slip float rig. If weight is needed I'll add split shot before the circle hook.]

Since switching to EWG HOOKS I now have a tackle box filled with jig heads that's collecting cob webs and dust. What am I missing about jig heads?
you kind of answered your own question in the first paragraph. most people use a EWG hook and then "tex-spose" it back into the bait to keep the point from hanging up on anything. of course it's the only option for weightless as well. so it just depends on your situation. if you're around bar's/grass/rocks I would fish it weed less ( EGW hook) with no weight or if I wanted a little weight I'd go with a 1/16-1/8 tungsten Pegged. pegging your weight is very important or you'll be getting hung up just as much as if you where using a exposed jig head- hope this helps.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Usually I just fish jig heads and clear the hook every cast when fishing in floating grass. But I'm going to try the EWG with a pegged weight when the grass gets thick this year.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've had good success with these style hooks. Like Owner because of the straight pin design (sure threading every time), but Eagle Claw, Mustad and others make similar versions. The 1/8-ounce is usually enough to add casting distance and also act as a keel to keep the baits swimming properly. You can also skin-hook the point in the back of the bait to go as weedless as possible without hampering hook sets.
rs.php.jpeg
rs.php.jpeg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Owner even sells the keeper spring pins individually if you already have hooks you like, some other brands probably sells them as well.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150