Wind speed

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hardhead

Wind speed

Post by hardhead »

Rookie question here. When y'all look at that weather forecast at what wind speed do y'all say, "man that's too windy to fish"! Trying to get a feel for a general wind speed forecast thats prob gonna make it too rough. Since I have 2.5-3 hr drive one way don't wanna do a bunch of driving only too find it's too rough once I get there. I know when you get a chance to fish you fish, but y'all know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Wind speed

Post by SHOWBOAT »

speed isn't as important as direction. You can fish somewhere between SJB and KB in practically any wind.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Depends on boat size. 20kts is doable but very tough fishing, anything over that I'm staying home. 10-15 and under is ideal.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Like others have said 10-15 perfect 15-20 can be doable. Depending on direction. Straight onshore will be the worst it can be at any wind speed. Straight from the shore will be the best conditions for what ever windspeed. That being said I've seen forecast 3-5' seas be slick. And 2' or less be 3-5'.

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Wind blows! I like a 5 knot wind to keep me drifting. It makes for a long miserable day when the wind is up.

Team Jolly Mon
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I'll ( inshore)fish in 10-15 depending on direction and area. But I wouldn't call 10-15 ideal. I like to see 5-10, or even better, 5. It's difficult to sight fish when the wind is over 10 in most places ( unless it's coming from shore). For offshore it needs to be less than 10, or you will probably get beaten up. You want a little wind to keep the no see ums away. Windfinder app is a decent predictor. But you will have to decide which will make you more upset, driving down and it being too windy to fish, or not going and finding out it was perfect. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Salty Gator wrote:I'll ( inshore)fish in 10-15 depending on direction and area. But I wouldn't call 10-15 ideal. I like to see 5-10, or even better, 5. It's difficult to sight fish when the wind is over 10 in most places ( unless it's coming from shore). For offshore it needs to be less than 10, or you will probably get beaten up. You want a little wind to keep the no see ums away. Windfinder app is a decent predictor. But you will have to decide which will make you more upset, driving down and it being too windy to fish, or not going and finding out it was perfect. Good luck
Maybe not ideal, I guess what I meant is I 10-15 wouldn't give me second thoughts if I had the day and wanted to fish.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

hardhead wrote:Rookie question here. When y'all look at that weather forecast at what wind speed do y'all say, "man that's too windy to fish"! Trying to get a feel for a general wind speed forecast thats prob gonna make it too rough. Since I have 2.5-3 hr drive one way don't wanna do a bunch of driving only too find it's too rough once I get there. I know when you get a chance to fish you fish, but y'all know what I mean.

Kinda sorta depends in part on the type of watercraft, don't you think?

"SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM EST THURSDAY THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING"

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?m ... syn=gmz700
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Where to me is most important. If your best spot is getting hammered that's not good. You can always find a place to fish with some wind but a place to catch may be a different story. For instance Apalach bay is bad with east or west wind but you can trailer 25 mile to SJB and it will be better because of the direction the peninsula runs (N/S) How bad you want to go has a bearing on how much wind you want to tolerate. It's a lot more productive to pick your days if possible. If you can find a reliable contact on the coast, like a bait shop, its better to get an on the spot conditions instead of a 90% wrong weather forecaster IMO
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

All great suggestions guys. Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. We went this past sat to st marks and hid in the river until around 430 to avoid the wind and waves of the flats. Finally my 9 year old pestered me enough about going out to the flats so we ran out....and low and behold the water wasn't as rough as I thought it would be. Not a single bite for the 2hrs we fished in the river and creeks but in about 40 min on east flats we boated 5 fish with 2 keeper trout before it was time to run back to the ramp. I think the wind was 10-15 last sat so like Dixie dawg said, I had that day to fish and I guess 10-15 wasn't too bad. Fish were in 3-5 ft water with white gulp under a cork and on and on
z-man pinfish color paddler. Thanks again.

leonreno

Post by leonreno »

In our 22 foot bay boat anything up to 15 is ok. Over that I might fish if it's coming off land. The boat can handle 15-20 ok but it makes for bumpy ride and a rocking and rolling drift, plus you drift too fast. Now if you stay in the creeks with a trolling motor you might could handle the higher winds too.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I agree on the where, more than the speed. I have fished anyways on some pretty dang windy days, where I knew I would be in protected water and had a good game plan for that area and that day's wind direction. You will get a feel for where and how fast. I hate windy days for lure presentation. I miss a lot of strikes when casting cross wind and a slack line. hate that more than fighting the wind. I have stayed in a river or creek and fished some small craft advisory days. I have also been out and the wind kicked up and we had to leave. Certain places I like to fish, there is no getting out of any wind, so I leave them for better days. You will get a feel for your spots.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?