Berkley Inshore spinning rods

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dixie Dawg

Berkley Inshore spinning rods

Post by Dixie Dawg »

I was browsing the internet looking at gear and came across these rods, price tag~$50. I've never used one and was wondering about them. Anyone have any experience with them? I know you can't expect a ton at that price point but are they worth $50 to have as an extra? Reasonable durable? Decent backbone? Lightning rod rebranded?
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Berkley Inshore spinning rods

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I've played with them in the store, they seem to be a rebranded wright&mcgill rod, for the same money I bought a no8 tackle company hell-bent inshore.
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I've played with them in the store, they seem to be a rebranded wright&mcgill rod, for the same money I bought a no8 tackle company hell-bent inshore.
Is that a good rod? I don't know much about lower end rods but I'm wanting to buy some for people to fish with when they go with me to keep them off my good stuff. Also don't want to buy any pure junk either.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

They do look very similar to the Blair Wiggins series Wright & McGill rods. I have 3 of those paired with Penn battle 2s for guests on my boat to use. They are excellent for the money (around $80). If it is the same rod, just rebranded, they'd be a excellent choice for your use case.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

They do look similar as far as color scheme and similar handles but I doubt it's the same blank. Could be I really don't know but I doubt it.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

For the money the hell bent is hard to beat, 13 fishing makes the hell-bent. I used it until I got a falcon lowrider and you can order them from gander MTN for $59.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

They have them at Gander mountain in Albany, ga, seem like a good rod for the money.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

I just picked one of these up after snapping the tip off of a shimano clarus. Haven't had it on the water yet, but it feels great in hand for a $50 rod. Only noticeable difference so far between it and some of my higher end rods is weight. It's a little on the heavy side. I'll reply again once I use it on the water

2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

jsaunders wrote:I just picked one of these up after snapping the tip off of a shimano clarus. Haven't had it on the water yet, but it feels great in hand for a $50 rod. Only noticeable difference so far between it and some of my higher end rods is weight. It's a little on the heavy side. I'll reply again once I use it on the water

Yeah I ended up ordering one online. It's solid for sure but heavy too, definitely not an all day caster.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Haven't tried one myself, but these new Ugly Stik Inshore Select rods have gotten some good reviews and the prices are right at $59.95 for backup/guest rods.

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rods-s ... ml#start=4
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

I wish they'd would put the falcon coastal rod back on sale for $60. That's a sweet little trout rod for the price IMO.
Last edited by Dixie Dawg on March 25th, 2017, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Academy had an advertised sale on All Star Classic rods for $20 or so. I checked when I was in the Tallahassee store Thursday and they only had two in stock.

The Falcon Coastal are good rods.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:Academy had an advertised sale on All Star Classic rods for $20 or so. I checked when I was in the Tallahassee store Thursday and they only had two in stock.

The Falcon Coastal are good rods.
I don't think you can beat an all star for $20. Lots of bang for the buck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

jsaunders wrote:I just picked one of these up after snapping the tip off of a shimano clarus. Haven't had it on the water yet, but it feels great in hand for a $50 rod. Only noticeable difference so far between it and some of my higher end rods is weight. It's a little on the heavy side. I'll reply again once I use it on the water

Take the Clarus back to where you got it. There is a warranty, you may have to pay $15 or so. They had a real problem with the new Clarus' breaking. My buddy went through 3 before they finally gave him a terramar. Lin said they had such a problem, they discontinued the line. I liked the way they looked and the new grip was pretty cool.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Salty Gator wrote:

Take the Clarus back to where you got it. There is a warranty, you may have to pay $15 or so. They had a real problem with the new Clarus' breaking. My buddy went through 3 before they finally gave him a terramar. Lin said they had such a problem, they discontinued the line. I liked the way they looked and the new grip was pretty cool.
I broke a clarus about a month ago but I don't have my receipt or anything. I also have a terramar and have fished it pretty hard for 4-5 years now, the tip is permanently bend and twisted but I still like it.