Lanark, Oh Crap and Seatow

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Re: Lanark, Oh Crap and Seatow

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Where is the lapse in coverage for TowUSA? I know they have a boat at Carabelle, St Marks, and Steinhatchee. I thought Seatow didn't have a boat in Steinhatchee anymore.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:Where is the lapse in coverage for TowUSA? I know they have a boat at Carabelle, St Marks, and Steinhatchee. I thought Seatow didn't have a boat in Steinhatchee anymore.
Me thinks my non-denominational thank you to Sea Tow thread is being hijacked. Might I suggest you go and do a little research and start your own thread if you are a fan of that other company.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

No hijack, it was a serious question. Where are the lapses in coverage, I switched from seatow to tow USA last year due to my navionics discount, I have to renew in may, before I renew I was wondering where the lapses were. I have no preference other than cost.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Was in steinhatchee last weekend. Docked my boat right next to the seatow boat at Good Times. Pretty sure it's still in service.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY M.D.. THERE IS A LITTLE 5 AMP FUSE THAT SITS RIGHT NEXT TO THE SOLINOID THAT WILL BREAK IF YOU HAVE A OVERLOAD ON THE STARTER WHEN TRYING TO START, IT HAS A LITTLE BLACK HOLDER, JUST TWIST THE HOLDER AND THE 5 AMP FUSE WILL COME OUT. SLAP A NEW FUSE IN AND THAT WILL SOLVE A LOT OF STARTING PROBLEMS. I GOT A COUPLE OF THE LITTLE 5 AMP FUSES IN MY BATTERY BOX, CAN GET THEM AT ANY OF THE DOLLOR GEN. STORES, I BELIEVE THEY ARE LESS THAN A DOLLAR.
PA

SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

flatsbroke22 wrote:
EddieJoe wrote:
flatsbroke22 wrote:I almost needed them yesterday myself, spun a prop 14 miles from ramp. I called to let them know I was going to idle in but to keep an eye out if I couldn't make it. Lady on the phone was very profesional. That was the first time I've ever had to call them since being a member(7 years).

***For those that have Seatow and a smart phone you need to down load there app. When you call from the app it shows them exactly where you are! Big must have if your in an emergency!!***
Yes, but the app will only help if you are in cell range. Otherwise, VHF is a far more reliable tool offshore or in remote areas, or in an actual emergency better have a PLB or EPIRB.
EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well of course it's only good if in cell range. But if in cell range and in an emergency this will work far better then VHF or any other device. As soon as the call is made your GPS cordinates show up on their computer, what is faster than that. I don't mean to only use this but if you have the app it will come in handy. I don't know of many folks that fish near shore that caryy a PLB or EPIRB but you can run into a lot of trouble in cell range. I broke down at the reef 9 miles out and it worked great and fast.
Certainly no harm in having a cell phone on board and using it when broken down if it works. My point is that a cell phone is not a reliable emergency communication device for boaters as your only alternative. If you take a boating course or work with USPS or USCG they will teach exactly that. No matter what size boat I have owned or where I fished, I have always carried at least a handheld VHF.

It's money well spent when you need it.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

As cheap as a baofeng VHF handheld is, it definitely is worth keeping in the boat.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:HEY M.D.. THERE IS A LITTLE 5 AMP FUSE THAT SITS RIGHT NEXT TO THE SOLINOID THAT WILL BREAK IF YOU HAVE A OVERLOAD ON THE STARTER WHEN TRYING TO START, IT HAS A LITTLE BLACK HOLDER, JUST TWIST THE HOLDER AND THE 5 AMP FUSE WILL COME OUT. SLAP A NEW FUSE IN AND THAT WILL SOLVE A LOT OF STARTING PROBLEMS. I GOT A COUPLE OF THE LITTLE 5 AMP FUSES IN MY BATTERY BOX, CAN GET THEM AT ANY OF THE DOLLOR GEN. STORES, I BELIEVE THEY ARE LESS THAN A DOLLAR.
PA

SEMPER FI
Thanks, I will check that out!
2true

Post by 2true »

MudDucker wrote: Get loaded and she starts again fine and again on the hose. Guess the starter bendex stuck up and overheated the starter on our first ride, because the batteries sure weren't dead.

I just had this happen on my aircooled Volkswagen and switched the starter. Was the battery terminals hot after cranking and not starting?:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

2true wrote:
MudDucker wrote: Get loaded and she starts again fine and again on the hose. Guess the starter bendex stuck up and overheated the starter on our first ride, because the batteries sure weren't dead.

I just had this happen on my aircooled Volkswagen and switched the starter. Was the battery terminals hot after cranking and not starting?:
Didn't check the temp of battery terminals, but when I hooked the SeaTow battery directly to the starter, it started to heat up real quick.