Trying a new lure

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelbad

Re: Trying a new lure

Post by reelbad »

Dixie Dawg wrote:Baitcaster on the flats... :smt078
Chuck and Jeff aka Bass Boys use strictly bait casters for all of their fishing, fresh and salt and have won more tournaments over the last ten years than any one I know of.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I fish baitcaster almost exclusively. I see next to no reason to use a spinning reel instead.
I carry a small/light spinning rig for DOA shrimp, and a dedicated spinning rig with braid for a popping cork....but they mostly just go along for the ride.

The catch 2000 is awesome. You will love it.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

bait caster if the wind is not too bad
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

I keep a box full of them. The jr model I've found gets quantity. Bone and pd is my favorite colors. 7-6 rod with a concept c and sufix 832 20#. Cast a mile, and easy to work. Love em.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

ONE FISH, MY FIRST BOUGHT REEL WAS A PFLUGER AKRON, THIS WAS BACK IN 1939. I STILL HAVE THAT REEL BUT I NEVER USE IT ANYMORE. THE FIRST SPINNING REEL I BOUGHT WAS A MITCHEL 300, I STILL USE IT. I HAD TO PUT A NEW BAIL ON IT ABOUT 30 YRS. AGO BUT IT STILL WORKS GREAT. I KEEP A WORM ON IT FOR BASS. I HAVE 5 ABU GARCIA REELS AND THE FIRST ONE I BOUGHT IS STILL IN REGULAR USE WITH A FLOATING CHUGGER IN SALT WATER HAD TO REPLACE THE WORM AND LEVEL WIND ABOUT 10 YRS AGO, THE OTHER 4 HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING TO THEM AND THEY ALL WORK GREAT. I SPRAY WASH ALL OF MY REELS AND RODS WHEN I FISH IN SALT, THEN SPRAY THEM WITH W-D 40
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I'll stick to my spinning reels their all I ever use anymore and with pretty good luck.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I can throw baitcasters fairly well as long as I'm not facing the wind. I have a couple with the magnetic dial on the lt. side that helps a lot with that, but I lose distance when having to tighten it up a bit. I still love my spinning reels, they will tangle up also if you don't watch the wind knots but they are reliable and easy to fish.
Yours in the South
bbb

Post by bbb »

Baitcasters are easier to use for me, when it comes to a topwater twitch bait and popping corks. Spinners for more constant retrieves and the kids. I always have a couple Calcutta's in the boat.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I can work a topwater with ease on my spinning reels with the right setup it turned out pretty good at the rock the dock with em.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

mpa_72001 wrote:I can work a topwater with ease on my spinning reels with the right setup it turned out pretty good at the rock the dock with em.

Boom( microphone drop)
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Pa, most of us weren't born back then I have a box of lews childress speed spools that belonged to my pops. I can't get parts for them anymore.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY HAMBRICK, I HAVE 2 OF THOSE LEWS REELS HANGING IN MY WORKSHOP THAT THE COMPANY SENT TO ME TO TRY OUT WAY BACK YONDER, I COULD NEVER GET THEM TO QUIT BACKLASHING. I ALSO HAVE SOME OF THOSE PENN HEAVY-DUTY ROD AND REELS THAT I USE TO USE FOR GROUPER FISHING.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Bought a Catch 2000 after reading this thread.

Definitely does the trick.

BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Every time I think I've invented something or discovered something I get on the internet and get heartbroken lol! But atleast that means there are people out there who can appreciate it.

I can throw a baitcaster effortlessly now. A castnet is a different story :-D :-D :-D
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:ONE FISH, MY FIRST BOUGHT REEL WAS A PFLUGER AKRON, THIS WAS BACK IN 1939. I STILL HAVE THAT REEL BUT I NEVER USE IT ANYMORE. THE FIRST SPINNING REEL I BOUGHT WAS A MITCHEL 300, I STILL USE IT. I HAD TO PUT A NEW BAIL ON IT ABOUT 30 YRS. AGO BUT IT STILL WORKS GREAT. I KEEP A WORM ON IT FOR BASS. I HAVE 5 ABU GARCIA REELS AND THE FIRST ONE I BOUGHT IS STILL IN REGULAR USE WITH A FLOATING CHUGGER IN SALT WATER HAD TO REPLACE THE WORM AND LEVEL WIND ABOUT 10 YRS AGO, THE OTHER 4 HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING TO THEM AND THEY ALL WORK GREAT. I SPRAY WASH ALL OF MY REELS AND RODS WHEN I FISH IN SALT, THEN SPRAY THEM WITH W-D 40
PA
SEMPER FI
My great uncle fished the flats around Anclote Island from his house on stilts about a mile offshore back in the 50s and 60s. When he quit fishing he gave us several of those Akron. I think I may still have one that is in a leather holster.Had the green handles on it. Of course, being a dumb young un, I used it for shiner fishing for bass and probably tore it up. I think I will go look around and see if I can find it.

Mitchell 300 for bass and the 308 for bream. Got a lot of miles on those old reels.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?