Angler Ethics?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

xXLoneBowmanXx

Re: Angler Ethics?

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

In hunting and fishing I always try to stay as far away from other folks as possible. Even if it means going out of my way. I hunt and fish to get away from people and it supercedes my need for success. Having said that, we had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. I am talking about the fouled up NOAA forecast and the boating etiquette. After slowly chugging our way 16 miles out on 3-5' seas (all while listening to the weather band repeat "1-2 ft seas, protected waters a light chop" over and over again, we made it to our spot and started catching fish. Only to have another boat (similar to the one pictured above, although I don't think it was the same) cruise up and start drifting exactly two boats from us. I know they weren't technically doing anything wrong, but it was still enough to angry up the blood. I held my tongue, but it wasn't easy.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

This is pretty much why I still mostly solo canoe & kayak fish the skinniest, narrowest tidal creeks I can find. I can't stand to be in earshot of even relatively polite skiff anglers chatting, playing itunes, & casting within 100 yards of me when I'm trying to find not just fish, but also that increasingly precious item: solitude.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

I figured I'd drop a past experience here. As a guy in a bay boat I've had a few dbags get way too close and show me just how big of an arse they could be. I stay calm, collected and back my boat as close to them as I dare. Then trim up my 225zuke and politely give them a bath. Then trim down and fly somewhere else. Had one Googan eventually follow me from afar and decided he wanted to confront me for repaying his ethics. Needless to say no shots fired, but when a googan sees a full size 1911, they typically change their mind. The worst part of this is it's all avoidable if people just showed each other respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

My biggest pet peeves of many from this weekend is that A diver flag is not a fixed object, it serves a purpose and is meant to be raised when divers are in the water and lowered when making way. Some people never take it down. Some guy had a huge American flag and another flag on either side of his diver flag where you couldn't even see it.

Rocky gave the best advice. It serves no purpose to get in pissing matches with people on the water. I will from time to time briefly voice my displeasure with someone's conduct but not more than just telling them what I didn't like before I drive away so they are aware, whether they care or not.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

hambric85 wrote:I figured I'd drop a past experience here. As a guy in a bay boat I've had a few dbags get way too close and show me just how big of an arse they could be. I stay calm, collected and back my boat as close to them as I dare. Then trim up my 225zuke and politely give them a bath. Then trim down and fly somewhere else. Had one Googan eventually follow me from afar and decided he wanted to confront me for repaying his ethics. Needless to say no shots fired, but when a googan sees a full size 1911, they typically change their mind. The worst part of this is it's all avoidable if people just showed each other respect.

That's funny stuff there, sure gotta be careful of the big guns and big boats with big motors these days.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

My worst experience was at Ecofina when I had my 16' skiff. On plane running out the river. My skiff would only do 20mph at WOT. Well that was not fast enough for someone in a bay boat. They blew by me at 10' distance and soaked everyone in the boat. I still get mad thinking about it.

xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

hambric85 wrote:I figured I'd drop a past experience here. As a guy in a bay boat I've had a few dbags get way too close and show me just how big of an arse they could be. I stay calm, collected and back my boat as close to them as I dare. Then trim up my 225zuke and politely give them a bath. Then trim down and fly somewhere else. Had one Googan eventually follow me from afar and decided he wanted to confront me for repaying his ethics. Needless to say no shots fired, but when a googan sees a full size 1911, they typically change their mind. The worst part of this is it's all avoidable if people just showed each other respect.

Just curious, is this a joke?
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

Yall check out this link. Same guy trying to sell numbers and someone called him out on the picture of his boat being too close.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-mis ... mbers.html
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

fishdux wrote:Yall check out this link. Same guy trying to sell numbers and someone called him out on the picture of his boat being too close.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-mis ... mbers.html
Lol
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:My worst experience was at Ecofina when I had my 16' skiff. On plane running out the river. My skiff would only do 20mph at WOT. Well that was not fast enough for someone in a bay boat. They blew by me at 10' distance and soaked everyone in the boat. I still get mad thinking about it.

As you know, most folks at ecofina have to run on plane all the way out depending on tide. Some boats can't stay on plane less than 20. Most aren't going to come off plane and risk bottoming out when someone is in the channel going 20
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

[/quote]
As you know, most folks at ecofina have to run on plane all the way out depending on tide. Some boats can't stay on plane less than 20. Most aren't going to come off plane and risk bottoming out when someone is in the channel going 20[/quote]

Exactly. If I'm on plane and come up on a slower boat I try to make sure they know I'm gaining and will slow down and pass them as far away as i can. But don't expect us to come off plane and have to idle all the way out the river. Not going to happen. Same reason we have passing lanes on the highway.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:

Sadly it's not. Twice I've had people literally idle up next to me where I could touch their boat with my rod. Some people have absolutely zero respect nor ethics. Both times they were given a shower. I'm easy to get along with, fishing is my destresser ( don't think that's actually a word) if there's an entire ocean, why does someone think that it's ok to push a smaller vessel off a spot even though they were clearly there first. I don't have many buttons, but that's one of them. I typically bend over backwards to help people, even if it takes time out of fishing. That's the code I was taught. you help others, you should always be polite and respectful, but do not tread on me and think there will not be consequences. I'd share a beer and tie up boats if someone is respectful, but to change course 90* and push me off an anchored position.... I won't stand for it.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I realize that all boats can't stay on plane at that speed. But he could have went wider and not wet us. He knew what he was doing. Just being a jack###. Widest part of the river past last bend and during high tide.

xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

hambric85 wrote:
xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:

Sadly it's not. Twice I've had people literally idle up next to me where I could touch their boat with my rod. Some people have absolutely zero respect nor ethics. Both times they were given a shower. I'm easy to get along with, fishing is my destresser ( don't think that's actually a word) if there's an entire ocean, why does someone think that it's ok to push a smaller vessel off a spot even though they were clearly there first. I don't have many buttons, but that's one of them. I typically bend over backwards to help people, even if it takes time out of fishing. That's the code I was taught. you help others, you should always be polite and respectful, but do not tread on me and think there will not be consequences. I'd share a beer and tie up boats if someone is respectful, but to change course 90* and push me off an anchored position.... I won't stand for it.

LOL... The way my luck runs, I'd lift the motor and spray everyone and then my motor would stall out, followed by a really awkward confrontation.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Boat ramp drama (wow never thought I would use that as a phrase) is whole other can can or worms...a messier can. That's where the IDIOT comes out in people for sure.