sand trought

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hairface

sand trought

Post by hairface »

fished dog island several times this spring never caught a sand trout 2yr and 3yr ago had a hump that I could catch all you wanted catch other people have same problem this yr
Pirate

Re: sand trought

Post by Pirate »

They don't seem to be around this year like they have in the past. They must be taking the year off!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Capt Ron

Post by Capt Ron »

Can't speak to DI, but on the Apalach side the guides are bringing in 50+ boxes daily. I can't help, because I don't do them this time of the year.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Are you talking about white trout? Those should be down in some deeper holes this time of year. Whiting, too. I like to catch them on cutbait.
Yours in the South
bbb

Post by bbb »

One of the Towers out from Mexico Beach/St Joe Beach has em. We caught a bunch over the week of the 4th.
ladyfsh

Post by ladyfsh »

Caught one at SGI about a month ago. Also caught whiting, pompano and blue runners there on an outgoing tide in evening. Last weekend I caught 1 16" red, 1 12" spotted seatrout and one very small red on a Krocodile lure. I haven't caught any southern kingfish which are also sometimes referred to as whiting. Don't know what a "white trout" is, it could be the silver perch which is also a coastal species. Headed to Bald Point this weekend to try for trout, reds and black drum.
:P
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Silver perch are sand trout. Much smaller and mostly good for bait. White trout look like speckled trout, just no spots. I've caught them up to 17'', but mostly they are about 12''. Good eating.
Yours in the South
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

ladyfsh wrote:Caught one at SGI about a month ago. Also caught whiting, pompano and blue runners there on an outgoing tide in evening. Last weekend I caught 1 16" red, 1 12" spotted seatrout and one very small red on a Krocodile lure. I haven't caught any southern kingfish which are also sometimes referred to as whiting. Don't know what a "white trout" is, it could be the silver perch which is also a coastal species. Headed to Bald Point this weekend to try for trout, reds and black drum.
:P
Welcome to the forum. I think around here, you might say a whiting is sometimes referred to as a southern kingfish. But when folks say kingfish, they are usually talking about mackerel.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

There are three kinds of trout commonly found in the Gulf and all are members of the drum family.

Spotted or specks (Cynoscion nebulous) are the most popular and with distinct spots all across their backs and flanks. Sand or "white" trout (Cynoscion arenarius) are similar to specks without the spots. Tan or yellowish on the back and silver on the underparts. Average size is a pound or less. Occasionally found on grass flats with specks, sand trout are more common in deeper channels, bays and open Gulf, usually over hard sand or shell bottom.

Silver trout (Cynoscion nothus) lack the yellow tint and are more bright silver than sand trout. Average less than a pound. Usually caught during the colder months in deep channels and bays.

Silver perch are also in the drum family and a close relative of silver trout. Many locals call them silvers. No prominent canine teeth. Gray or steely on the upper half, with silver sides. Fins and tails are light yellow.

Source: Sport Fish of the Gulf of Mexico by the late, great Vic Dunaway. Great reference book, along with his Baits, Rigs and Tackle.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
hairface

Post by hairface »

I only fish from October to april the cooler months but already looking at maps and listening to other fisherman for new spots around carabell and dog island and dog island reef my spots has played out info appreciated
hairface

Post by hairface »

will carry family on vacation to panama city anyone fish here would it be worth wile to carry my boat for trout fishing has anyone fished this far west
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

Depending on how far your coming from and where your staying, I might opt for a guided trip. Usually that's productive fishing! Now you don't have to worry w any of the 1000 things that could and might go wrong w the boat or trailer. The guide provides the gear as well (rods, bait, BOAT), but whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!
TurtleCat