Trout/Reds around Shields?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Trout/Reds around Shields?

Post by procraftwes »

I keep a big boat down at shields and have noticed a large increase in people fishing the area and was wondering if anyone has had any luck up there yet.

I fished off and on while waiting for paint to dry working on the boat and got one bite all day but know they tend to bunch up deep.

What are the strategies for reds in the river? Do they like structure or deep water like the trout?

The fact that I can fish from my boat without moving is appealing :-D but i'd like to catch something besides a stray bass(happened once).

Also a PSA(doubt a single member here would) Try to keep the wakes down around the bend/shields my neighbors boat is taking a beating lately with boats running half plane. salute3

I spend alot of time there and can tell its not malicious and to be fair not everyone knows what slow speed/min wake means(i'm not all that clear personally) but I would think people would realize when they see all the big boats shaking behind them.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Trout/Reds around Shields?

Post by onefishtwofish »

I can't answer the fishing question, but every boater SHOULD know that No Wake means the minimum speed needed to maintain steerage. I have seen several boats get pulled in the St Marks. People just being inconsiderate.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

onefishtwofish wrote:I can't answer the fishing question, but every boater SHOULD know that No Wake means the minimum speed needed to maintain steerage. I have seen several boats get pulled in the St Marks. People just being inconsiderate.
Well there's Idle Speed no wake and slow speed minimum wake. Based on some research the difference is minimal but enough to print different signs.. :roll:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The reds seem to get in the deep holes like the trout in the river in winter when it's cold. The major bends in the river are popular spots. Winter river fishing gets way to crowded for me. I bet you if you soak cut mullet off the back of your big boat in the deepest part of the river you will get a cruiser. Some big stripers caught on cut mullet also. Certainly not glamorous, but probably effective. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Salty Gator wrote:The reds seem to get in the deep holes like the trout in the river in winter when it's cold. The major bends in the river are popular spots. Winter river fishing gets way to crowded for me. I bet you if you soak cut mullet off the back of your big boat in the deepest part of the river you will get a cruiser. Some big stripers caught on cut mullet also. Certainly not glamorous, but probably effective. Good luck
Thanks!

I've been throwing lures(thrown everything over the past month) because that's just my style but i'll give it a shot.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

procraftwes wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:The reds seem to get in the deep holes like the trout in the river in winter when it's cold. The major bends in the river are popular spots. Winter river fishing gets way to crowded for me. I bet you if you soak cut mullet off the back of your big boat in the deepest part of the river you will get a cruiser. Some big stripers caught on cut mullet also. Certainly not glamorous, but probably effective. Good luck
Thanks!

I've been throwing lures(thrown everything over the past month) because that's just my style but i'll give it a shot.
That's fine, slow them down, way down
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven