Need help with boat setup / trolling motor

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hunt Nasty

Need help with boat setup / trolling motor

Post by Hunt Nasty »

I’m finally to the point where I want to get in real skinny water and go after Reds. Problem is my boat was setup for freshwater crappie fishing and the trolling motor doesn’t seem to have enough power to push me around with any kind of decent breeze or current. How powerful does it need to be as i’m in the market for a new trolling motor with wireless technology.? any suggestions are appreciated thanks . I’m in a 19’ carolina skiff if that helps- also do i need a seaparate battery altogether for it ?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Need help with boat setup / trolling motor

Post by onefishtwofish »

When I had a 19 CS, I had a 24V 70 pound thrust and if you were on the deck, it would knock you off if turned to one side and you were not ready for it! I had both batteries up front for weight along with an onboard charger for them. Worked very well. They do get a little more pounding up there, but I put them on rubber mat to reduce that a little. Any less would be pushing it in a good tide flow or wind. That was just right for the boat.

I did not have a power pole on that boat. Had a stick it anchor pin and it worked well. Sold the rig to my brother and he has not changed anything, still running it just like I set it up and happy with it.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
geofish

Post by geofish »

I'm thinking about getting one for my 21 ft Wahoo. I'm thinking I may need a 60 inch shaft. Any advice on measuring? From deck mount to water plus how many inches?
edif

Post by edif »

I have a 54 inch shaft Minn Kota rip tide 24 volt tiller steer that is 6 months old only put in the water 3 times not a scratch on it if you are interested. I went with a I-Pilot.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Maybe. Not sure if 54" is enough or if I need 60". Boat's in the shop for some steering work this week or I'd take it out and do some measurements on the water. How much you want for it?
edif

Post by edif »

I will take 675 and it has the male plug on the cable.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

From the West Marine : To determine the right length for your boat, measure the distance from where the shaft is mounted on the deck or the transom to the water. Then add 16" (for MotorGuide) or 20" (for Minn Kota) and select the next closest measurement.
If in doubt, Longer is better to insure you have the depth needed to keep the prop from cavitating in rough seas With a longer shaft, you can always raise the motor above the deck in shallow water.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
geofish

Post by geofish »

Cool, thanks!
Bluewave

Post by Bluewave »

If you are planning on using it for skinny water red fishing I would go with the new MotorGuide that is 40% quieter to avoid spooking the fish. :smt006
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

70 is more than enough.. I could see needing more if you were a tournament fishing for money in 35 mph winds.

Most of us just stay home though.
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

procraftwes wrote:70 is more than enough.. I could see needing more if you were a tournament fishing for money in 35 mph winds.

Most of us just stay home though.
^^^ This ^^^ I have a 70 pound thrust ipilot on 22 foot bay boat and it does fine.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I had a 80lb thrust MK with spot lock and it worked really good against a strong incoming tide in a creek mouth on a 18' flats boat.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc