• Advertisement
beavisrealty.com


Please Support our Sponsors

Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.
Image

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fishing Forum Sponsored By
Image

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby MudDucker » February 10th, 2019, 9:34 am

Wow, glad your son wasn't hurt. I've had some close encounters with gators, but never had one get that close. Now I was in Okeechobee years ago wade fishing with my stringer following behind, when I felt something tugging on my stringer. At first thought it was the fish, but finally turned to see two moccasins fighting over my fish. Decided to let them win and wade quickly away. We enter their world.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
User avatar
MudDucker
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 6545
Joined: June 22nd, 2005, 3:07 pm
Location: Valdosta, Georgia


Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby Apalachee Inshore » February 10th, 2019, 9:43 am

MudDucker wrote:Wow, glad your son wasn't hurt. I've had some close encounters with gators, but never had one get that close. Now I was in Okeechobee years ago wade fishing with my stringer following behind, when I felt something tugging on my stringer. At first thought it was the fish, but finally turned to see two moccasins fighting over my fish. Decided to let them win and wade quickly away. We enter their world.


Man I’d rather fight off a shark or alligator as opposed to a gang of moccasins.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 273
Joined: April 7th, 2017, 8:40 pm
Location: Apalachee Bay

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby Salty Gator » February 10th, 2019, 10:20 am

Apalachee Inshore wrote:That is nuts, spearfishing those tidal creeks never really sounded safe to me. I’ve seen a bunch of gators in the salt and they are almost always big.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Cast nets are east to learn to throw. Evolution is good.
Turn off your mind relax and float downstream
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 2883
Joined: April 17th, 2010, 7:23 pm
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby Apalachee Inshore » February 10th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Just realized this post is from 2012, I was looking for the news story and wondering who the heck was spear fishing mullet in February. I feel dumb.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 273
Joined: April 7th, 2017, 8:40 pm
Location: Apalachee Bay

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby BloodyChamp » February 10th, 2019, 2:48 pm

I’ve bumped up a few old topics in the past after searching for them but that’s not what this was. It was right there in the list. I’m guessing my fat fingers hit something besides “next” or “2” and I ended up here. It hasn’t been the coldest February. I just figured somebody lucked up in a creek lol! Not to mention the gator. I saw 1 at the head of the Wacissa the other day.
BloodyChamp
 
Posts: 190
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby BloodyChamp » March 19th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Another thing I just noticed...this is Appalachee Inshores from FB!!!!!!!!!! I messaged you with what was probably a random sounding question on your end, about the Pinhook, a couple days after the most embarrassing disaster of my life happened out there last summer. I’ve referenced that story here many times without telling the whole thing lol!
BloodyChamp
 
Posts: 190
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby Apalachee Inshore » March 24th, 2019, 7:56 pm

BloodyChamp wrote:Another thing I just noticed...this is Appalachee Inshores from FB!!!!!!!!!! I messaged you with what was probably a random sounding question on your end, about the Pinhook, a couple days after the most embarrassing disaster of my life happened out there last summer. I’ve referenced that story here many times without telling the whole thing lol!


That’s me. I’m assuming you are the guy awhile back asking me about fishing the Pinhook. Not trying to talk myself out of any business but I still think you guys would be fine in a gheenoe if you just pick a day the tide is good and high and the wind isn’t bad. If you did nothing over idle, you could be in pinhook from the lower Aucilla ramp in 30-40 minutes. On high tide you can get there without ever going in the gulf.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 273
Joined: April 7th, 2017, 8:40 pm
Location: Apalachee Bay

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby BloodyChamp » March 28th, 2019, 12:36 am

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
BloodyChamp wrote:Another thing I just noticed...this is Appalachee Inshores from FB!!!!!!!!!! I messaged you with what was probably a random sounding question on your end, about the Pinhook, a couple days after the most embarrassing disaster of my life happened out there last summer. I’ve referenced that story here many times without telling the whole thing lol!


That’s me. I’m assuming you are the guy awhile back asking me about fishing the Pinhook. Not trying to talk myself out of any business but I still think you guys would be fine in a gheenoe if you just pick a day the tide is good and high and the wind isn’t bad. If you did nothing over idle, you could be in pinhook from the lower Aucilla ramp in 30-40 minutes. On high tide you can get there without ever going in the gulf.


That was me! Love your pics on FB.
BloodyChamp
 
Posts: 190
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby lonesouth » March 28th, 2019, 3:25 pm

I thought spearfishing in fresh water was illegal. What delineates the ocean from the creek/river?
850-273-8818
User avatar
lonesouth
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 572
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 11:25 am
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby ropeman » March 28th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Depends on what fish you spear. Most areas have a salt water demarcation line, but the fish just ignore it. :D
ropeman
 
Posts: 77
Joined: July 23rd, 2007, 1:24 am

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby STMU » March 30th, 2019, 7:20 am

ropeman wrote:Depends on what fish you spear. Most areas have a salt water demarcation line, but the fish just ignore it. :D


Not necessarily based on species. Saltwater demarcation yes. Sheepshead, for example, is perfectly legal to spear in salt, but not fresh. It almost becomes subjective based on the officer's interpretation and location.
STMU
 
Posts: 74
Joined: October 4th, 2017, 5:56 am
Location: Crawfordville

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Postby lizbeth » April 17th, 2019, 4:23 pm

wow. that's just crazy. I have seen them out there. one of the biggest I ever seen was near Bald Point.
Pirate Girl
User avatar
lizbeth
Site Sponsor
 
Posts: 576
Joined: November 29th, 2006, 7:28 pm
Location: forgotten coast

Previous

Return to Fishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hit-n-Miss and 7 guests

Home | Weather | Tides & Moon | Pictures | Links
Articles | Area Charts | Area Guides | Online Licenses | Discussion
Reports | Tips & Tricks | Feedback | Contact | About | Advertise

Copyright 2001 - 2012 BigBendFishing.Net