Lake wimico

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

akasephiroth

Lake wimico

Post by akasephiroth »

So looking like seas are gonna be a little rough for me this weekend, I've never been a huge fresh water guy but I'm thinking hay it memorial day weekend the boats already good to go I just gotta find the fish. Was looking to hit Appalachcola bay I got a few good spots but I know the bay can get rough at times aswell.

Then I see lake wimico On the map and was thinking if the bay is too bad I can cut up here for some freshwater spieces. So suggestions? Anyone fished it? Is it close enough to still get trout's and reds?
edif

Re: Lake wimico

Post by edif »

Never caught Reds or Trout but its one heck of a Bass fishery if there is any grass in it after the hurricane its shallow outside of the channel one of my favorite all time places to bass fish.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Old Dog has fly fished it and knows it well. Maybe he'll chime in.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

I get access to Lake Wimico from the east by launching from Abercrombie Landing, at the end of Bluff Road on the Apalachicola River, or the west, from the landing under the highway 71 bridge over the ICW at White City. For bass fishing (bream too) I have done better fishing the banks of the ICW east from White City, especially the south side, (and the ox bows). I really like fishing the creeks coming into Wimico for bream, especially those on the south side. Depot Creek is one of my favorites.
By the way, starting in the 1830s, steamboats from Columbus used to take cotton down the Apalachicola River to Jackson River, Lake Wimico, and then up Depot Creek. The cotton would be offloaded at a 'depot' on the creek and taken by rail to the deep-water port at Port St. Joe.
A good book about all of this is Edward Mueller's, "Perilous Journeys: A History of Steamboating on the Chattahoochee, Apalachicola, and Flint Rivers, 1828-1928."
D
Last edited by Old Dog on May 23rd, 2020, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Thanks Old Dog for that information. Will definitely check into that more.. I grew up on the Hooch, born in Columbus. Always heard stories but those storytellers have passed and I was too young to understand..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

Thanks for all the advice we're gonna check it out in the am I'll shoot back a report once we home