Rocks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Rocks

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Went fishing yesterday with a friend out of St Marks. Day started off with a bang. We headed east toward the rock garden following one of his trails . Then all of a sudden wam! found an unmarked set of rocks running about 50 mph. We lost the skeg and part of 1 blade and bent another :( . Not a good start. We decided to keep going (slower). Fished till about 5:00 with only 2 trout. Limped back to the ramp and called it a day. I'm planning on getting the # where the rocks are and post so everyone will have them.It was still better than being at work.... :-D
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Re: Rocks

Post by Flanders »

Ouch!! :smt009
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Dang! I hate that for ya C&G.
Last edited by birddog on August 23rd, 2009, 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GULP! free since 1970.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I hate that too C&G.. I'm going that way in the morning. I learned several years ago not to run wot in that area. I usually try to idle and follow my saved tracks. Hoping conditions turn on the reds tomorrow..Was there much grass floating ?
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Chill-N-Grill wrote:Went fishing yesterday with a friend out of St Marks. Day started off with a bang. We headed east toward the rock garden following one of his trails . Then all of a sudden wam! found an unmarked set of rocks running about 50 mph. We lost the skeg and part of 1 blade and bent another :( . Not a good start. We decided to keep going (slower). Fished till about 5:00 with only 2 trout. Limped back to the ramp and called it a day. I'm planning on getting the # where the rocks are and post so everyone will have them.It was still better than being at work.... :-D

I've done it too. BTW, if you have boat insurance it is probably covered. Mine was. Took some of the sting out of the repair.

EJ
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Man, I feel that pain! :smt010
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I lost a lower unit in that area nearly 20 years ago and the boat insurance covered it....
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YOU KNOW, 20 YEARS AGO YOU COULD TRUST A INSURANCE CO., NOT THE CASE TODAY. YOU HAVE TO SUE THEM WITH A CROOKED LAWER TO GET WHAT YOU WERE SUPPOSE TO GET IN THE FIRST PLACE. I JUST FINISHED A 4 YEAR STRUGGLE TO GET WHAT STATE FARM SHOULD HAVE PAID WITHOUT QUESTION AND THEN THE ATTORNEY GETS 1/3 OF THAT, WHICH TO ME IS NOTHING BUT DAYLIGHT ROBBERY.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 :smt006
FUTCHCAIRO
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Your boat or his??
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

It was his boat Rocket. But I felt his pain.
Not to much floating grass Sundown
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Dayyuuummmm
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Chill-N-Grill wrote:It was his boat Rocket. But I felt his pain.
Not to much floating grass Sundown
Whew David.....thought that pretty Skeeter got initiated to the Rock Garden. I know from our previous conversations that you probably wouldn't be running your boat through that area like that. Sorry to hear about the friend's boat though :thumbdown: Hopefully insurance will cover it.....
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Fish stay where the rocks stay.
That is how I found over 1000 fishing holes out there.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

make sure you advise your friend to check the prop shaft. With a hit like that, I be very surprised if it's not bent. If he takes it somewhere they will probably let him know.

I agree with PA about Insurance. It's almost better to not report a claim unless your dog gone near a total loss! I had State Farm for over 40 years for Home and life insurance. Added boat when I started boating this area 5 or 6 years ago. Had two claims in 18 months (one lower unit at Econfina and one bent prop shaft) Statefarm paid but then dropped my coverage. Went with Progressive. Haven't had a claim since so I can't really speak to how they would treat a claim.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I had the same day Sunday minus the rock strike. Man that sure stings, but I gotta hand it to you for sticking it out and fishing anyway. Lots of folks woulda called it a day. Congrats on being a couple of serious anglers.