Jacksonville Beach Pier

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

robbankston
Site Sponsor

Jacksonville Beach Pier

Post by robbankston »

Went to Jax last Friday to help my mom move. Fished the pier Sunday and Monday. Managed 5 whiting in two days. Not really a great fishing trip but nice to get out and do some. Funny thing that happened was a stupid pelican took my 5th fish away from me. He was bold. I was getting ready to cut off the head and give it to him and the darn thing snapped it out of my hand almost got my finger in the process. After he got the fish he came at me again. I held up my fillet knife to ward him off and he wasn't backing down. He had one more time and I was going to stick him, but he chilled out. SOB won't be getting another hand out from me. Brought home 4 and fried them up last night. Good eating.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
FishWithChris

Re: Jacksonville Beach Pier

Post by FishWithChris »

4 outa 5 isn't bad!

at least you're catching fish
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Very true!
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
1Nitrofish

Post by 1Nitrofish »

I`m pretty sure it`s now illegal in Florida to feed the pelicans.......................
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Illegal or not the next one that comes after me is getting stuck...
groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

Post by groupertherapy »

Those things just look like pelicans. They are really Jumptrout's agents guarding his holes.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

I`m pretty sure it`s now illegal in Florida to feed the pelicans.......................
regardless - I'ld clean the blood off the knife blade in a hurry - it MUST be illegal to eat pelican :wink:
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

1Nitrofish wrote:I`m pretty sure it`s now illegal in Florida to feed the pelicans.......................
I read somewhere . . .

A new (2008) rule prohibits intentional feeding or placement of food that attracts pelicans and modifies the natural behavior of the pelican so as to be detrimental to the survival or health of a local population.

It is not permissible for organized groups of people or organizations to feed groups of pelicans at regular places and regular times when the pelicans are not restrained or not directly under their care. Public fishing piers and beaches which attract large groups of fishermen may want to consider creating scrap chutes where folks can dump the leftovers to keep them out of the way of pelicans.

The intent of the rule is not to regulate the occasional or the casual feeding of individual pelicans. Individual fishermen who happen to hand a scrap to a begging pelican will not be cited for their behavior.

I don't remember reading that it is illegal to protect yourself from a pelican attack.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

So I'm in the clear!!!
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

RodBow wrote:
regardless - I'ld clean the blood off the knife blade in a hurry - it MUST be illegal to eat pelican :wink:
He did look like he'd be good with some gravy!