Bad Case of Cobia Fever

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Bad Case of Cobia Fever

Post by big bend gyrene »

Those who've seen my posts likely know I keep a chronic case of cobia fever... but thanks to a few pictures floating around numerous boards and social media outlets the fever has grown to near unbearable levels. Just my .02 that camera angle tricks may well be at play in helping them look even more massive than they were, but sure not babies. Not one to normally want time to go any faster than it already is... but... April can't get here fast enough as far as I'm concerned! :smt045
Mogan Cobe.jpg
Mogan Cobe 2.jpg
Mogan Cobe 3.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Bad Case of Cobia Fever

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:o Holy #### Batman! :o
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

That's the largest Cobia pic I have ever seen. Can we get a weight? :smt007
big bend gyrene

Again, bit skeptical of exact weights without firmer details but *supposedly* shot with spear with largest a new record 176. LOTS of sites sharing the same vague spear kill with 176 weight but almost feels like each one is just a forward of another share. But looking at tail sizes alone, not babies regardless.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I've seen some huge ling when diving years ago off of Mayport years ago, but I think that one takes the cake! Wow! :o
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

That is a beast. It took some huge ones to even take that shot with a spear gun.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Haven't received the 2014 edition yet, but last year's IGFA World Record Game Fishes book still lists the All-Tackle hook and line record for cobia at 135 pounds 9 ounces, set back in 1985 in Shark Bay, Western Australia. Several women's records have been set in Chesapeake Bay, Key West and along the Panhandle from Destin to Orange Beach, including a 126-pound 6-ounce fish taken by Cindy Knight in April 2000 and Wendy Kennedy's 103-pound 8-ounce fish landed on 80-pound line in April 1995.

Patrick McCormick holds the 20-pound line class record with his 125-pound 8-ounce cone caught off Jax in May 1998, while Thomas Hardy outlasted a 128-pound 12-ounce slob off Pensacola in April 1995. Perhaps the most impressive record was Robert Cunningham's 73-pound 10-ounce catch in April 1999. He outlasted that fish on four-pound test! It also was caught in the central Gulf.

The theme here it's that there are some really, really big cobia swimming around, mainly through nearby waters and April is indeed a prime month to target monsters.

http://www.igfa.org
big bend gyrene

silverking wrote:Haven't received the 2014 edition yet, but last year's IGFA World Record Game Fishes book still lists the All-Tackle hook and line record for cobia at 135 pounds 9 ounces, set back in 1985 in Shark Bay, Western Australia...The theme here it's that there are some really, really big cobia swimming around, mainly through nearby waters and April is indeed a prime month to target monsters.
Silverking, ditto what you said... does support some big ones swimming around but I won't fully 100% believe they've broken the record until I see a more detailed report. That said, still has ramped up the fever! :wink:
big bend gyrene

Honestly, Silverking, the more pictures I see the more suspicious I get on any world record being set... not because it doesn't look massive, but when they're massive no camera angle trickery is needed. Truth.

Just saw another that appears to include the same guy as in the first picture, with the fish hanging in front of him. If 176 pounds, a HUGE fish in its own right, and one that SMASHED the world record wouldn't you want to be beside it versus staged behind it?
Rope.jpg
Then there are the pictures with the guys appearing to hold up the fish. Not saying there aren't guys that can pick up that much dead weight, but doing so with a smile on your face isn't easy. Heck, Bman can attest a 40 pounder will make you grimace if you have to hold it up long. Be far more believing if there was even a single picture with the fish BESIDE someone.

And then there is the fact that though googling 176 pound cobia will take you to about 1,000 board / fishing related facebook links showing the same pictures, if you google world record cobia and then click on google news, not one reference to this catch is made... not a single one.

Still fun pictures to look at though! :-D
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The International Game Fish Association does not recognize spearfishing records, hook and line only, and only in strict accordance with long-established ethical rules of sportsmanship and angling.

Not saying those aren't big fish and impressive sizes. Just feel the playing field is a whole lot different with light line classes vs. a spear gun.
big bend gyrene

silverking wrote:The International Game Fish Association does not recognize spearfishing records, hook and line only, and only in strict accordance with long-established ethical rules of sportsmanship and angling.

Not saying those aren't big fish and impressive sizes. Just feel the playing field is a whole lot different with light line classes vs. a spear gun.
:thumbup:
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Man y'all gotta tone it down. Its too soon for me to catch cobia fever. I couldn't last til April.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Harmsway wrote:Man y'all gotta tone it down. Its too soon for me to catch cobia fever. I couldn't last til April.

They're chewing off the Keys wrecks right now, Harmsway. Whatcha waiting' for? :wink: Or better still, it's summer time in Australia. :lol:
bman

Post by bman »

big bend gyrene wrote:Heck, Bman can attest a 40 pounder will make you grimace if you have to hold it up long.
One more photo John, oh wait it didn't take. Hold it up again. Oops. Sun was in your face.. One more time. Smile!

LOL!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"