I need a two piece spinning rod.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Can'tCatchAnything

I need a two piece spinning rod.

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I'm currently bound to public transportation here in Boston. I have my reels, and will have my rods shipped up here, but I'd like a 2 piece rod I can tote around and hit a few ponds after work.

Anyone have recommendations on a good 2 piece rod? A 2500 FK with 10 lb 832 will be going on it, and I usually throw a DOA 4 inch jerk shad, weightless, so something like a 1/8oz to 3/8oz lure weight. I haven't seen any Bass Pros I can get to easily so this may have to be an online deal. I really like me a 6'6, but a 7 or 7'6 is possible. Just wondering if anyone has an optimal 2 piece rod matched to that reel yet. I'd want something nicer (<$200), but not too crazy, I'd basically be getting it so my other rod doesn't get destroyed on the train or bus.

Thanks for any information.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: I need a two piece spinning rod.

Post by silverking »

CCA,
Take a look at the Cabelas Salt Striker Inshore Travel rods. I just bought a set for my trips and fished the casting model yesterday. Nice action and components. Good prices too at $110.

The 7-foot Medium is a three-piece rod that is rated for 8-15 pound test and comes in a handy carry case. I bought the 7' 6" spinner and it's a little stiffer but rated a little higher in line class for snook, baby tarpon, etc. for trips south.

Another option, also from Cabelas, is the Fenwick HMX series. They have a 6' 6" two-piece rod that's rated medium and 10-14 test. Graphite blanks. I have an ultra-light for bass fishing. $80. Very nice rod for the money.

I've tried several brands of travel rods over the years and most are broomsticks. The Salt Strikers are the first other than the G. Loomis and St. Croix Tidemaster (big $) that actually feel light and responsive with a reasonable price tag.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Can'tCatchAnything

Thanks for the response Capt.

Any experience with the TFO or 13Fishing travel rods? I think I recall you selling a 3 piece TFO rod a few months back, kinda wish I jumped on it now. I saw they offer some in light and medium light that look like what I'm looking for as well. Gonna take a look at thse Cabelas rods too.

Thanks again!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sold a TFO casting rod. They're a little stiff for my taste but others like 'em. Seemed to be one action heavier than rating.

No experience with 13Fishing products.

http://stcroixrods.com/products/saltwat ... r-inshore/
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Can'tCatchAnything wrote:Thanks for the response Capt.

Any experience with the TFO or 13Fishing travel rods? I think I recall you selling a 3 piece TFO rod a few months back, kinda wish I jumped on it now. I saw they offer some in light and medium light that look like what I'm looking for as well. Gonna take a look at thse Cabelas rods too.

Thanks again!
I have a tfo 3 piece and like it a lot, casts light lures a mile. I've caught some really nice reds on it. I got it at Kevin's and I think they sold it for $100. I think msrp was $170. They had a med light that would be perfect for cca's 2500 reel last time I was there. CCA, most definitely give them a look.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Bass Pro has a Very Good travel 4 pc spinning rod and it is reasonable priced. Will work great with 2500
Can'tCatchAnything

Thanks for responses SG, JB.

I was between the 13fishing and TFO breakdown rods. I just may pull the trigger on that TFO after that review. Thanks again!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Can'tCatchAnything wrote:Thanks for responses SG, JB.

I was between the 13fishing and TFO breakdown rods. I just may pull the trigger on that TFO after that review. Thanks again!
Check w Kevin's in Tallahassee if you live here. They gave me a great price on mine
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

CCA relocated to Boston for a great new research job, SG. So even if the price is right at Kevin's, the commute would be costly. :wink:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:CCA relocated to Boston for a great new research job, SG. So even if the price is right at Kevin's, the commute would be costly. :wink:
Yup there it is in the op plain as day
Can'tCatchAnything

Update.

It's been 4 weeks and I've still yet to wet a line.

Went out to local Bass Pro Shops to look at rods, I really wanted to try before I buy. The Bass Pro in Foxborough is crazy, complete with built in waterfall and shooting gallery for the children. I previously mentioned I didn't want to spend too much on a rod, so I look around make my way from the Ugly Sticks to the St. Croix and Loomis rods.

The one thing I'm noticing between price levels are the components. The guides, reel seats, even how supple the cork handles are, it makes every bit of appreciable difference as the weight and action of the blank. I walked out with a 6'6 St. Croix Avid ML. It comes in two pieces. I am just a tad over budget, but it was the only one in stock so it felt like it was meant just for me; effectively making this the luckiest fishing rod north of the Mason-Dixon line. :lol: I looked at 3 and 4 piece true travel rods and they just didn't have the lightness, the feel, the backbone.

The customer service at the BPS was top notch as usual. I didn't bring my own reel to test and the sales associate opened a new one out of the package no questions asked. I went over to the firearms section and the associate behind the counter was knowledgeable and friendly as he explained Massachusetts' ridiculous gun laws.

Thanks again for feedback, hope to show you guys some fish soon.