drift sock questions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

relicshunter

drift sock questions

Post by relicshunter »

i had a good drift and boated a couple keeper trout. then the next drift i had to much speed. i am thinking i need a drift sock. i have a 19' ski barge, quite light weight and real wide. i see all different sizes for the boat lenght. how much does weight figuare into the size need?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: drift sock questions

Post by silverking »

A drift sock is an essential part of my gear, especially with a light 500-pound hull. The idea is to slowwwww your drift, so bigger is always better. I have one rated for a 20-foot boat and my skiff is 18 feet. In my experience, the heavy vinyl socks always accomplish the job better than the light nylon versions. Check eBay for the seller in south FL or look on Cabelas.

Have also found that by rising it down with freshwater after every trip, it keeps the mildew to a minimum and prolongs the life of the sock. I have mine modified with an extra "dump" strap and rig it with a 20-foot dock line with a pre-splice so I can loop it over the bow or spring cleat with no problems.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Yes, we use a drift sock all the time during windy conditions. very useful tool for us. See Chris at Bass Pro they have a variety of sizes that will fit your boat. Don't forget a inline stainless swivel to keep it from twisting up. :thumbup:
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

One Keeper wrote:Yes, we use a drift sock all the time during windy conditions. very useful tool for us. See Chris at Bass Pro they have a variety of sizes that will fit your boat. Don't forget a inline stainless swivel to keep it from twisting up. :thumbup:
Chuck, you and Jeff catch enough big trout to slow your drift even in gale force winds. :lol:
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I am not sure of the brand, but Kevin's sells a yellow colored drift sock that has a chart on the label telling which sized sock to get depending on the length of your boat. They hold up well. I've had one on my boat for several years. If you drift real shallow water around rocks and oyster bars you can get them hung once in a while.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Make sure it has a brightly colored float on it. I have dumped mine when hooking a large fish, it can take a minute to haul it in but dumping it and picking it back up takes just a second. They sell them by boat size and like was said, bigger is better.

I use on days when it is windy just to keep the bow into the wind. Really smooths out the fishing too.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Make sure you attach well. I didn't and lost mine today at Shell Pt :smt010
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Sorry to hear that , but thanks for the tip.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

eightwt wrote:Make sure you attach well. I didn't and lost mine today at Shell Pt :smt010

I don't believe I would have told that one brother :lol:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

relicshunter wrote:don't believe I would have told that one brother
S__t happens but as 70 gets closer it happens more. Oh well...
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That's why I like the spliced loop connection. No noise or chipping of gelcoat and if you go through the cleat and loop around the horns, it won't pull loose unless you're riding out a hurricane. Not sure what you have in your yak 8Weight, but you could always go through the loop and around a bulkhead strut, depending on kayak brand/style.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Drift sock on kayak is essential. The bit of drag helps stabilize the kayak in the chop too.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Had it behind the seat because was coming in. All I can think is that as I paddled thru a large flotsam of grass, it fell off and I never felt it because the drag from all the grass. Came off at the sock and not the yak. Yes I have found it is essential for me when drifting. I throw a fly and it really helps in controlling the yak while casting. Not to mention much slower.