If you're looking for trout/clear water

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

If you're looking for trout/clear water

Post by procraftwes »

Tip to the forum.

When the water isn't clear or the fish aren't on the flats try hitting the Ochlocknee shoal.

I took this yesterday.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: If you're looking for trout/clear water

Post by Salty Gator »

Shhhh
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

For reasons I can't even pretend to explain, the St Marks refuge tidal creeks recently shazzamed from super muddy to crystal clear in two days. I wasted three precious hours of life down there on Tuesday catching nothing in coffee-colored currents, then went back Thursday to the very same creek and enjoyed a redfish/trout/sheepie explosion in aquarium water. Mother Nature constantly amazes!
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Shhhhhh........hhhhhhh....hhhhhhhhh !!!!! :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GaryDroze wrote:For reasons I can't even pretend to explain, the St Marks refuge tidal creeks recently shazzamed from super muddy to crystal clear in two days. I wasted three precious hours of life down there on Tuesday catching nothing in coffee-colored currents, then went back Thursday to the very same creek and enjoyed a redfish/trout/sheepie explosion in aquarium water. Mother Nature constantly amazes!
Interesting, looked like tea today
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Salty Gator wrote:
GaryDroze wrote:For reasons I can't even pretend to explain, the St Marks refuge tidal creeks recently shazzamed from super muddy to crystal clear in two days. I wasted three precious hours of life down there on Tuesday catching nothing in coffee-colored currents, then went back Thursday to the very same creek and enjoyed a redfish/trout/sheepie explosion in aquarium water. Mother Nature constantly amazes!
Interesting, looked like tea today
Ya I was there this morning as well definitely stained. Gary I'm going to need some coordinates on where you were so I can verify water quality.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:Ya I was there this morning as well definitely stained. Gary I'm going to need some coordinates on where you were so I can verify water quality.
He was two clicks southeast from a fat water moccasin and a rod length from Bubba, his pet 10-foot bull gator. :lol:

Water was even slightly stained in Big Lagoon State Park at Perdido Key, but that didn't stop a 4-pound trout from inhaling my Bagley finger mullet topwater lure this morning. Unfortunately forgot my STAR measuring tape but I wanted to get her back in the water quickly anyway. Great start to the day!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

silverking wrote:
Apalachee Inshore wrote:Ya I was there this morning as well definitely stained. Gary I'm going to need some coordinates on where you were so I can verify water quality.
He was two clicks southeast from a fat water moccasin and a rod length from Bubba, his pet 10-foot bull gator. :lol:

Water was even slightly stained in Big Lagoon State Park at Perdido Key, but that didn't stop a 4-pound trout from inhaling my Bagley finger mullet topwater lure this morning. Unfortunately forgot my STAR measuring tape but I wanted to get her back in the water quickly anyway. Great start to the day!
Worth a try right. And that's a nice trout, would have been proud of one half that size today. As for the STAR measurements I always, always forget to enter my catch.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I was out again Saturday at the Refuge, jonesing for a STAR tagged red. Not as clear as Thursday, but still not bad. Reds/trout lively on the incoming. For the tidal creeks I mostly fish (all east of the lighthouse), the ones that have little or no connection to the levees are always the least muddy/stained after rains. Those levee spillways dump rain overflow into the smaller creeks.

Another lesson learned: if the creeks are crawling with spotted gar, I might as well put away the rod & go home. Gar seem to sprout like mushrooms after a hard rain down there.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I was out there in my big trawler on Saturday swimming around for scallops. Didn't move around or wander far from the boat but didn't see much.

Saw a guy get a nice bull red from my flybridge under the Ochlocknee bay bridge. Looked to be in a very large G3 or similar boat with modern power. Hell of a show.

The shoals were crystal clear.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

From what I saw yesterday morning the aquarium needs to be cleaned. :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Gary I found you aquarium creek but didn't get into any redfish/trout/sheepie explosion. A couple of trout on topwater and an over slot redfish I did a hands free release on about 15 feet from the boat. This was before the monsoon set in.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I'm trying again today. Will see if it's clear or not so much!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

St Marks Refuge creeks verdict (7/18/2017): not so much!
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

GaryDroze wrote:St Marks Refuge creeks verdict (7/18/2017): not so much!
Was over @ Mashes Sands yesterday and with the heavy rain storms we are having every day it will be a while before it clears up. By the way, no red with a tag. :smt009