Headed to Shell Point this weekend

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

White dog

Headed to Shell Point this weekend

Post by White dog »

Looking for some friendly advice....I am headed over to Shell Point for the weekend and was wondering if I could get some idea about how far of a run it is to spots to chum and chunk for Snapper and Cobes and the like. I have a list of public reef numbers, but maybe a recommendation or two please. Thanks...
fishdux

Re: Headed to Shell Point this weekend

Post by fishdux »

Going out of Shell Point, you will find that the water gets deeper to the West. Southwest will be the best direction to head. Cobia may be a little shallower but you may have to hit at least 40 to 50 foot for the snapper. It would be a good idea to pull a troll bait such as a duster when moving around also as the kings should be around. Good luck to you and post a report.
White dog

Post by White dog »

Thank you very much for the reply fishdux. I will take your advice and hope to put my kids on some fish. If you need any info or advice about fishing in Santa Rosa or Escambia counties, feel free to contact me.
Brian
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

If you look on most maps kind of between Shell Point Beach and the mouth of Ochlockonee Bay, there is a square outlined "fish haven" box that is almost exactly 3 miles from Shell Point Beach in about 13-15 feet of water. I hooked the biggest cobia I have ever fought there back in late June. I got to see him twice during the 15 minute fight before he broke off 80 pound mono. I don't know if he cut me off on something or if I had a fray in the line beforehand. It's not deep enough for snapper there but you might try it for a cobe. Marker "4" is farther out to the S/SE but you could try around it too. That area has been good to me for flounder. Good luck!
White dog

Post by White dog »

Thanks Price, I'll check it out and let you know how I did. I really appreciate your help.
Brian