Headed to San blas

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hardhead

Headed to San blas

Post by hardhead »

Alright boys. Headed to the cape this coming fri for an end of summer fishing and beach trip fri -wed. My wife wants to catch a flounder, really really bad. Any specifics that I need to try other than dragging a jig head through the sand patches or using bull minnows on the bottom in the sand. More like, should I try certain structures or certain areas(behind blacks island or adjacent to the state park). I just wanna concentrate my efforts in the right general locals.

Also,any reports of people catching any Spanish trolling around the Mexico beach area? Or inside the bay? Or any where really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbb

Re: Headed to San blas

Post by bbb »

I would fish the areas around the marina. The old docks, the rocks etc for flounder. We also caught some a couple months ago on the SW side of blacks in the deeper holes just off the grass flats
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

I would try where the river comes into the bay at the bridge, fish the bay side of the bridge and depending on the tide keep your boat in the channel fish shallow to deep or deep to shallow dragging your bait on the bottom. When i lived there we use to do very well at that spot for flounder with shrimp. Try both sides of the channel. I will be there this weekend too.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Hit-n-Miss

Headed to San blas

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Around any wood structure you can find with a 1/4oz chartreuse standup jighead and a 4" white or pearl gulp curly tail. Work slow and set the hook hard they have a tough mouth. The campground is nice. Have a good trip and post up some pics.

RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Word is that the trout fishing is very slow right now because of the warm weather. However, when I was down there last week I did get a report of a local guide catching several keepers in the Black Island area. So, maybe there's some hope. Haven't heard nothing about spanish but then I haven't asked either. On the flounder, my boat has been in the shop for a loooooooong time so I haven't been out in the bay lately but I have been having decent luck in the surf but only on mud minnows and finger mullet. Hot and humid down there last week with regular t-storms. Stay cool and good luck.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Thanks for the intel guys. We were hoping for some scalloping as well but dang algae bloom kinda messed us up. Just more time to spend on the beach!