Rapala Saltwater X-Rap Series

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Rapala Saltwater X-Rap Series

Post by silverking »

Rapala sent me a goodie box awhile back with some of the new saltwater X-Rap lures to try. All were rigged with the in-line single hooks instead of trebles.

Have caught some trout on a blue/yellow Subwalk. Sinks to a couple feet with slow twitching action. Haven't had a chance to try the Twitchin' Minnow yet (the mullet pattern).

Just discovered they've added a few more colors, including two of the bread-and-butter baits for our area: pinfish and mullet. Of course, had to buy a couple. Very realistic finishes. The pinfish is the Twitchin' Mullet series (also 1-2 foot dive) and they make a pilchard as well. The Minnow and Mullet both come with small BB rattles. MSRP is $9.99 apiece. The Minnow comes in two different lengths.

Will give some feedback after I've had a chance to try 'em out.
IMG_0416.JPG
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Re: Rapala Saltwater X-Rap Series

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I like the look of the pinfish lure. Interesting.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

They look good. I'm going to give in line hooks a try on skitteralks. I like the sub walk also, are they in stores yet?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Salty Gator wrote:They look good. I'm going to give in line hooks a try on skitteralks. I like the sub walk also, are they in stores yet?
Kevin's has them, so they should be out elsewhere. You can also order direct from Rapala.

Rocky and I have both converted Skitter Walks to the in-line hooks and tried them. Much lower hook-up ratios than with trebles. Like several aspects of the single/in-line like safety and less possible damage to the fish. But for the quick reactionary strikes of top water plugs, I'm going to stick with the trebles.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Yeah the single hook deal was something I really tried to make work. ( I hate treble hooks for releasing fish and digging out of my palm) :smt010

But, it was only slightly better than no hook at all. :smt011

My current strategy is bent down barbs and only a double hook on the rear. Besides.....Skiterwalks don't work anyway.....you guys should use something else. :wink:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

What do you guys think about the lures with BB's for rattles? I have not had much luck with them and prefer one-knocker type lures or even no rattle at all over the BB's.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The Skitter Walks have a single large ball bearing so it makes a lower thump. It also adds casting distance and rolls to the tail for a downward tilt, which the fish find hard to resist. The Subwalks have a single large bearing too.

My personal jury is still out on the BBs but they do increase weight for casting and add some noise. We'll see...
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Steve Stinson wrote:What do you guys think about the lures with BB's for rattles? I have not had much luck with them and prefer one-knocker type lures or even no rattle at all over the BB's.
Gold floating rattle trap was the lure of choice when we used to fish cedar key. Caught a bunch of reds on them
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Capt Ron

Post by Capt Ron »

BBs work....Rat-L-Traps have been one of my go to baits for 30-40 years. I particularly like them in stained water. The floating saltwater models are deadly on the flats. I like to burn them , then pause and let them back up. Trout can't stand it!
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

These fancy plastic lures are over-rated.

I'm going to learn to throw Croaker. https://www.microskiff.com/threads/the- ... ood.46469/

:-D
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

rockyg wrote:These fancy plastic lures are over-rated.

I'm going to learn to throw Croaker. https://www.microskiff.com/threads/the- ... ood.46469/

:-D
I better quit using so much live bait and buy a bunch of chrome skitter walks, I don't want this to happen to me.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Not to highjack here but I couldn't resist buying a Live target Mullet and tried it last week. It paid off with 2 twenty two inch and 1 twenty inch trout. Even better news was I didn't get a chance to use it much with all the rain and wind but for time fished it was a winner.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!