Boca Grande 7/30-8/3

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Boca Grande 7/30-8/3

Post by onefishtwofish »

Had a wife family reunion in Placida and had a very good time with her Texas family. My plan was to be the inshore guide while my BIL was the offshore guide. Had been once before and my main goal was snook.

Got there Sunday afternoon and had to run from the marina to the condo in some pretty strong winds. Was in protected water with just chop but we got soaked on the one mile run! Got the boat on the lift and was ready to try to sneak some fishing in on Monday. Instead the system turned in to a Tropical Storm and we watched the weather from the hill-me and Captain Morgan spent the day together ashore.

Tuesday AM we had a small window. Got one for my daughters boyfriend. No other snook caught. Weather turned snotty for the afternoon. Image

Wednesday I told everyone if you are not on the boat at 6:15 you are left! I spent that day putting others on fish and really looking hard for fish. The water that is normally perfect for sight casting was heavily stained. But we managed a bit. Got on some snook and reds at first light. Moved out and started on trout and bluefish on a flat and were tearing them up until dolphins ran us off. Spent the afternoon searching for bait.

Thursday I decided to let everyone
Help themselves and let me fish in the am. Had motor trouble and was relegated to fishing 5 miles from where I wanted to be. Did manage a nice red for my nephew's first. He was very pleased. I did not get a pic of him with it, but this is him with snook. Image

Had to leave early due to the unexpected funeral of my uncle. I had been talking with him for years about getting him down from the mountains to catch reds and we had a great trip back in April. He will be missed. Image

So my snook eluded me, although I did have several blowups on top water. They were short striking in the stained water. Gives me a good excuse to go back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Boca Grande 7/30-8/3

Post by Steve Stinson »

I grew up fishing Tampa Bay until I moved to Tallahassee in 1994. The fishing pressure is so heavy down there that you have to fish live greenbacks to catch any decent sized snook or reds during the daytime. Night fishing is a different story.

If you go back, try to find live bait and fish the docks that have deeper water under them or nearby.

- Steve Stinson
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Boca Grande 7/30-8/3

Post by onefishtwofish »

Steve Stinson wrote:I grew up fishing Tampa Bay until I moved to Tallahassee in 1994. The fishing pressure is so heavy down there that you have to fish live greenbacks to catch any decent sized snook or reds during the daytime. Night fishing is a different story.

If you go back, try to find live bait and fish the docks that have deeper water under them or nearby.

- Steve Stinson
Thanks. Pressure is indeed tough. We had a hard time finding bait due to weather. Our problem was when we finally found the bait, we were just soaking them as we could not see the fish around the docks due to the clarity. Just not much action with all the rain. And my hard head that wanted to catch the fish my way at first, but I came around for the crew and they got their fish. Never got to night fish as there were planned reunion activities every night. If it had been my family, they would have known where I would be!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?