Rods/Reels & Electronics for Ocklocknee Bay?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Hello all! I have been a longtime lurker here and finally just bought my first boat a 19 foot center console. I hvae been fishing around St Marks to Lanark for a long time mostly in kayaks and wading but dont have any experience out from shore. I have a few questions to anyone who is willing to offer me some advice as I am very excited to get started!

First I am trying to figure out what kind of fishfinder/plotter and trolling motor to get. My plan for the next few months is to spend every single trip just searching for structure while I learn the area. To do that I would like a unit with side imaging to help identify hard bottom and what it looks like down there. I actually prefer to freedive spearfish more than anything but love to surface fish too. I have never had a sidescan unit but think something big like the Helix 12 SI would be good for searching on days when visibility or temperature make it tough to inspect spots visually. I am usually a Lowrance guy but it looks like the Helix 12 would provide the features most useful to me in this area at a comparable price to smaller Lowrance units. I like that the Lowrances are touch screen but feel like the screen size is more important. I would then pair this with a Minn Kota motor of some kind to get the GPS spot locking. I don't really care about which brand of trolling motor, I would just get whichever one interfaces with the finder/plotter I choose. So either HB/MK or Lowrance/MotorGuide. It looks like I could get a Helix 12 and Minn Kota for around $3k which sounds reasonable. Does anyone have advice?

Second I am wondering what rods and reels I can pick up to allow me to bottom fish and troll in Ocklnocknee Bay when searching for structure, and also over deeper off of Carabelle. I already have a good number of Stradic and Saragosa setups from 3000 to 8000 size for casting but wonder what I should get for trolling between spots and fishing the bottom. I guess I would hope to catch grouper, ARS, cobia and kings. If I wanted to buy maybe 4 to 6 budget setups for trolling and bottom fishing while I learn what I'm doing for the next year or two, what would you guys recommend?

Thank you for your advice!
StMarksAngler

Re: Rods/Reels & Electronics for Ocklocknee Bay?

Post by StMarksAngler »

Anybody out there?
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Last edited by Redfin on August 18th, 2017, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbb

Post by bbb »

I had a Helix 9 with the HD transducer. Instead of getting the Helix 12 SI, I would get the Mega 9 si. Its much more impressive and the price should be comparable.

As for reels, I have a couple Penn 5000 spinners for flatline baits. I have a couple Shimano Calcutta 400s for smaller bottom fish and a couple 700's for the bigger stuff.

You can get used Calcutta 400s for $100 and 700s for $150.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I guess I'm wondering what you are targeting bottom fishing ochlockonee bay? Bottom machines.... personal preference. Definitely get an I pilot ( or whatever brand you like, but spot lock is a game changer for bottom fishing).. 24 v 80lb thrust should be plenty. That's what I use on a 22' pathfinder. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Thanks for the replies!

In Ocklnocknee Bay I guess I would be targeting grouper and cobia with live bait on hardbottom? I know that it's better to get out deeper off of the islands but I live in Tallahassee so running to St Marks is easier for me on days when I don't have a lot of time. Mostly I am just trying to figure out what kind of rods and reels will be a pretty good all around setup for days when I will be trolling, or bottom fishing in Ocklocknee or able to get out to deeper water. I am pretty well set for inshore gear already I just want to maximize my options for a reasonable cost while I'm learning more about offshore.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You might want to pick up a nautical chart. Some of the questions regarding your original post arise from your reference to Ochlockonee Bay. That body of water is generally defined from Mashes Sands across to Bald Point and inland beyond the Highway 98 bridge. Except for the channel and a few holes, it's fairly shallow. You might find some juvenile grouper there, but legal fish or other common bottom species are not likely.

Apalachee Bay, however, extends out from the St. Marks River east and west and into the Gulf of Mexico. I think that's the waters you are wanting to explore? There is tons of good bottom with ledges, soft corals, etc. just beyond the refuge stake line and the SM buoy. Grouper, sea bass, king mackerel, cobia, mangrove snapper and others can be found on some of those spots, plus the numerous artificial reefs that have been deployed. A good chart, like those made by Florida Sportsman or Hot Spots, will give you plenty of options to fish in your new boat. As far as tackle and accessories, the other posters have already chimed in with some excellent suggestions.

Welcome to the zoo and post up some of your adventures.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

All of these places with Indian names sound the same to me. ;-) :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Aahhhhh! Yes of course, I dont know what I was thinking here... Thank you for pointing this out. I of course meant to say Apalachee Bay and not Ocklocknee Bay, I am very familiar with the difference. I'm very used to saying "Ocklocknee Bay" because of the many years Ive spent kayaking and wade fishing there. Ive been getting ahead of myself with excitement now that I finally have a boat of my own! :-D

Im already pretty familiar even with the offshore locations of shoals, artificial reefs, etc from going with friends over the years, but it has always simply been "Dive here" or "Hold this and fish". Now that I will be doing it on my own its time to really pay attention and learn the specific tackle and techniques. Like I said hopefully I will be mostly spearfishing these spots but of course that depends on the conditions and company.

Any advice others can mention is much appreciated and thanks to everyone who has contributed so far!!