Sea Trout Workshop Opinions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Sea Trout Workshop Opinions

Post by Steve Stinson »

I am going to attend the Sea Trout Workshop this evening at the Leroy Collins Library and would be interested in your opinions as to the management of the fishery. My personal opinion is that the current limits are fine, but they need to go back to closing the season for one or two months in the Winter when the big fish are all up in the rivers.

Whether you agree with me or not, post your opinions here so I can get a feel for the opinions of the forum members.

I will give an update at the next NFGFC meeting.

Thanks - Steve Stinson
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Sea Trout Workshop Opinions

Post by Salty Gator »

Steve Stinson wrote:I am going to attend the Sea Trout Workshop this evening at the Leroy Collins Library and would be interested in your opinions as to the management of the fishery. My personal opinion is that the current limits are fine, but they need to go back to closing the season for one or two months in the Winter when the big fish are all up in the rivers.

Whether you agree with me or not, post your opinions here so I can get a feel for the opinions of the forum members.

I will give an update at the next NFGFC meeting.

Thanks - Steve Stinson
I'm going to try to go also. I like your idea about closing in winter. It wouldn't break my heart if the over 20" were off limits for harvest.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Not able to make the meeting, unfortunately, but I've already submitted feedback to the FWC.

Feel the fishery is off due to increased pressure and recent environmental factors (hard freezes, seagrass die-offs). I'd like to see the winter closure again, eliminating the over 20-inch allowance or both for a few seasons to help rejuvenate the stocks. I'd much rather catch bigger trout and a lot of them than a bunch of dinks. Will occasionally keep a couple to eat fresh but mainly release most, except for tournaments. As far as that goes, I would love to see Catch/Photo/Release formats like the STAR or the now-defunct Kayak Classic adopted universally. Slot formats like the Seatrout Shootout are another option to protect big breeding females. Between early spring and fall, it seems like there's a tournament every weekend now and that kind of intensity is not helping matters.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

We should be releasing the larger fish.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Definitely at least a month closure however I would like to decide myself whether or not I keep my one over 20"....I do generally release the over slots !! :thumbup: :thumbup:
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

We might also try to teach folks HOW to release unwanted fish, those under slot and those over slot. to many times folks post videos on this site handling trout that will not survive the way they are being handled. I try to release unwanted fish at boat side and not take them out of the water. Understand that this is not always an option.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I attended the meeting tonight but did not speak. I'm not as passionate about the February closer as most were tonight but I'm not adimately against it either. I'm not sure I buy into all fish caught in cold weather die, I just haven't experienced that for myself. I due believe a lot of their data was off based on my personal experience. Their data showed that only 3% of trout harvested are over 20 inches. Whether I'm keeping fish or not I catch a fish over 20 more days than I don't. I would estimate the number at closer to 10-15%. Also if the 3% is correct, that is still not a direct correlation to 3% of the potential offspring. I havent seen any numbers on trout specifically but I know I read that big red snapper produced exponentially more offspring than smaller sexually mature fish. I don't think it is a stretch to believe it is the same for trout, so a 22+ inch trout is producing 2, 3 or 4 times the offspring a 15 inch trout is. Considering that I would not be opposed to eliminating the overslot rule even if it means moving the slot to 21 inches or so. I am sympathetic to the tournament crowd maybe like silverking said try to incorporate more photo release. I am also a big fan of more region specific zones as was discussed tonight and I have seen discussed on this forum. It seems like a no brainer that our fishery is much different than the panhandle, but in the end it's a money thing.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Apalachee Inshore wrote: I just haven't experienced that for myself. I due believe a lot of their data was off based on my personal experience.
And how long have you been a Capt. ? For the record
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Gulf Coast wrote:
Apalachee Inshore wrote: I just haven't experienced that for myself. I due believe a lot of their data was off based on my personal experience.
And how long have you been a Capt. ? For the record
I received my captains license this year but I have fished our area since I was old enough to hold a rod. I may not have the experience as some on here but I fished pretty hard as a recreational fisherman in my 20s and have caught my share of fish. What is your point?
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Apalachee inshore, good insight. Does anyone know what the commercial affect is? Have there been any discussions about the invasive species, changing habitat and predatory species? There seems to be more recreational fishermen but is the mortality coming primarily from them? Sorry I'm on duty and couldn't make the meeting just trying to catch up.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

They say commercial fishery is responsible for 2% of the harvest. If you go to the FWC website, on the workshop page they have a downloadable power point with all the information we were presented with tonight.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Point is, I'm impressed that someone, at a younger, age actually keeps up with their day on the water.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Gulf Coast wrote:Point is, I'm impressed that someone, at a younger, age actually keeps up with their day on the water.
Oh sorry I thought you were going the other way with that. Thank you for the compliment.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

how many folks were there ? any timeline on a decision ? any other news ?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Anyone else get the lengthy online Sea trout survey from FWC? I answered it but had a hard time understanding what some of the questions had to do with trout fishing... like annual income, age, fishing experience, number of adults in the household, etc.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/