Sea Trout Workshop Opinions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Sea Trout Workshop Opinions

Post by Steve Stinson »

I would say there were about 25 people or so attending. Faces I recognized - Capt. Steve Hobbs, Capt. Mike McNamara, Capt. Pat McGriff, Kenfly from this forum, Jerry Gerrardi, and possibly a couple others.
FWC claims there is not a timeline for making any changes - they have heard some concerns and are looking for public input. There was support for a Winter closure of a month or two, and support for making the Big Bend area a separate zone (Suwannee River are extending to Apalach. or Port St. Joe.)
FWC has a target goal of trout making it to successful reproductive size of 35% for our area and we are currently running about 48%, so we are above the goal they set to maintain the healthy population. This generated a lot of support for leaving the limits as they are.

I would say that those of you who are not attending these meetings, but are regular trout fishermen / fisherwomen, need to attend. FWC claimed our meeting was well attended, but there were not that many of us there compared to the amount of fishing folks in this area. I believe this gives FWC the false impression that we don't have that much interest in their decisions.

There were a lot of questions about the source of the FWC data and the size of the database they are using to make their determinations. They currently exclude guides and tournament anglers from their database, which would seem to be a good source of information. On line surveys and dockside surveys don't seem to happen very often, even to those of us who are frequent anglers.

- Steve Stinson
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Gulf Coast wrote:how many folks were there ? any timeline on a decision ? any other news ?
I sat in the front so I didn't get a good look but I would say between 20-30 attendance. The lady that led the forum said they are not recommending any changes as of now. Everyone who spoke seemed fine with the status quo on regulations, the only exception being there was a lot of l support of trout season closer in February as it was in the past. The other major point was for use to have our own management zone roughly from horseshoe to Apalach, so our fishery's numbers are not lumped together with places like Tampa or Destin. The second one is a no brainer if the FWC has the resources for that, but I expect they don't or it would have already happened. A more region specific management plan would greatly benefit fisheries all over the state not just our area. It was suggested that is too many regulations and would be confusing to people and my rebuttal to that is with all the time, money and effort that goes into fishing it is not too much to ask to learn the regulations of the area you are fishing.

Juan I'll let Steve answer your question, he spoke on that subject a bit last night.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Sorry I didn't see your post before I posted Steve. One thing I would like to add about them not taking data from guides or tournament anglers is I was actually surveyed this spring at Keaton for the first time in years and I told them I was out on a charter and they still took my info down. So there seems to be a bit of inconsistency there. Also the surveys looked like college kids.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I tried to get the point across about using the data in context as well. For instance - Just because you see many teams on our weigh-in lists with "0" that doesn't mean they didn't catch anything. Many folks have mechanical issues, choose not to come back to weigh in, or perhaps get speeding tickets on the way back which disqualifies them :-D .

The same thing with a college kid asking you at the dock "Did you catch any sea trout today?" If you went fishing for cobia, grouper or snapper, your answer is going to be "No", but that doesn't mean there are less sea trout.

- Steve Stinson
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Steve Stinson wrote:I tried to get the point across about using the data in context as well. For instance - Just because you see many teams on our weigh-in lists with "0" that doesn't mean they didn't catch anything. Many folks have mechanical issues, choose not to come back to weigh in, or perhaps get speeding tickets on the way back which disqualifies them :-D .

The same thing with a college kid asking you at the dock "Did you catch any sea trout today?" If you went fishing for cobia, grouper or snapper, your answer is going to be "No", but that doesn't mean there are less sea trout.

- Steve Stinson
Steve, how do you get a speeding ticket on the way back to the ramp ?, I thought that only applied before safe light.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Steve, how do you get a speeding ticket on the way back to the ramp ?, I thought that only applied before safe light.

LMBO... i know :smt005
FishnTim

Post by FishnTim »

I was only able to attend for a short while but I was very impressed by the thoughtful comments and the turnout. I'd be okay with February closure like it used to be.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

It was Milton and his team. They were on the way from the lighthouse ramp to the weigh in site and got pulled over inside the St. Marks refuge. Made them late for the weigh-in, but they had the winning stringer in their livewell.
mattally

Post by mattally »

Barbless single hooks should be considered. Cant tell you how many one eyed trout I've caught from a treble hooker!
Plus the mortality rate on treble hooked caught fish is thru the roof.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

mattally wrote:Barbless single hooks should be considered. Cant tell you how many one eyed trout I've caught from a treble hooker!
Would you please cite the scientific studies you've read to back up this claim? Agree there can be some external damage from trebles, but most of the trout I've caught on treble-hooked plugs are hooked in the lips or mouth. Can't remember the last time one was gut-hooked. And I think I've caught a single one-eyed trout in nearly 30 years.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

mattally wrote:Barbless single hooks should be considered. Cant tell you how many one eyed trout I've caught from a treble hooker!

you catch a lot of one eye trout ? Mortality rate must not be that bad then....Sort of sounds like an oxymoron ?
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Can someone tell us what the commercial limit is for trout? I have heard it's 100 per day but that could be incorrect. If that's true, then I have to question how they derive the 2% data.
There are so many unknowns that I can't see how they have any data that's not mostly assumptions.
I know the commercial people have to make a living and I am not against responsible action. I just don't want knee jerk response like we have had with snapper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Commercial season in the NW Zone is 6/1 to 10/31. Slot limit is 15 to 24 inches, with allowable gear hook and line or cast net only.

Possession limit is 75 fish per harvester or a vessel limit of 150 fish if two or more fishermen are aboard.

Source: MyFWC.com Commercial regulations.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Now we need to know how many carry commercial trout liscense in the NW zone?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FWC Office of Marine Fisheries Division: 850-487-0554