Where's a good place or 2 to snatch mullet this winter?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Where's a good place or 2 to snatch mullet this winter?

Post by BloodyChamp »

My summer fishing got cut short in about June :smt010 :smt010 :smt010 :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: . My next trip will either be Speck fishing which I consider myself pretty dang good at or mullet snatching which I have never done. I have caught mullet the old fashioned way, and while I'm not yet what you'd call an expert, I made a ton of progress this spring and did very well.

This random post (lol!) is happening now instead of December because I just had to leave my cousin hanging after he invited me flats fishing Saturday. He'd recently told me about a time he snatched mullet on a day the trout skunked him and this huge group of boats had people pulling fish in every throw. He checked them out and saw that they were snatching mullet, and they invited him to join. I'd hate to end up going with the gameplan being to just look for other boats lol!
Last edited by BloodyChamp on August 18th, 2017, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Re: Where's a good place or 2 to snatch mullet this winter?

Post by trout fisher »

Thanksgiving week/weekend. Aucilla River. Bring plenty of hooks. It's been my experience that the smaller weighted trebles work far better than those giant unweighted ones you buy off the counter at JR's and Rocky's. You will lose more of them but you will put more fish in the cooler. It's fun work.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I'm already ready lol! Low tide? High tide? How do you know where to even start? I guess it's clearer out there that time of year though. I don't think I've ever been on the flats in the winter besides when I was a child. I've heard of them bunching up at the actual rise to but I've never seen any evidence of it from seeing myself to pictures on the internet so I don't know about that either.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Is this still happening this weekend or is it not cold enough? I won't make it but I'd like to hear the stories and see the pics.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

I got a call from a friend late last week that there were a few mullet in the river. He was cast netting and got a limit quick. Then, as mullet do, they high-tailed it out of there. So I'm not sure. I will be in the area Saturday with a cast net just in case. Happy Thanksgiving to all. :beer:
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

They get pretty stacked up in the marsh creeks during the winter. The lower the tide the more concentrated they get. I've seen guys catching them with hook and line on the SM river about 100 yards N or the 98 bridge. They looked to be chumming them but not sure with what. They caught around 8 in the time it took me to put my boat in the water and drive past them. It was pretty impressive. My dad likes fresh mullet so on a rare occasion I will snag a few for him. The best way to snag them is to tie a dropper rig. Small weight at the bottom with two treble hooks above. You need to have a tight drag to set the hook but once you get one on loosen it or the hook will pull. I'm no expert by any means. Good luck!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I have snagged a few in the summer time in the rare cases where they were thick and not moving 1,000 mph, but I've found that the best way is to be patient with them biting. Snagging does work though. When they do start biting though, they're like tame pond bream!

I'm assuming they hang in the creeks until it gets cold then high tail it to the deep water? If I get to go by January I'll be lucky lol!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Fishing was the last thing I needed to be doing because I need to get my pecans off the ground but my cousin invited me to go Saturday and I ate all his food at Thanksgiving Thursday so...lol! And I had to work at my part time job Friday night and it went long...ugh.

But now that it's over I'm so glad I drug myself out of bed and went. We limited out on Trout and I the last 1 we kept was a monster after a slow start. Then he hung a sure enough monster that would have been illegal. We had to leave because of the tide and his huge boat but if it weren't for that we might have really ended up with some stuff to brag about the way it was going. He also swore he knew about some Reds but didn't think it was smart to go that way because of the tides. My cousin is the man, man.