Hickory Mound

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Hickory Mound

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Just curious what the status is for the landing repairs and if anyone has any insight on why it hasn't reopened yet. I'm not really a hickory mound guy but someone asked me about it today and I didn't have an answer for them.
mpa_72001

Re: Hickory Mound

Post by mpa_72001 »

I believe government funds to finish repairs
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I only went there one time, and swore I wouldn't go back. Worst road I have ever driven on, nothing but washboards all the way there. I hope they have worked on it some.
Yours in the South
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

don't know if it is being worked or but the sign is still up stating it's closed
as of this Morning
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

I assumed it was a money thing, just wondering if anyone knew the deal. You would think since it's a wma the state would pony up but I don't know how extensive the damage is to the ramp, roads and/or dyke. And yeah that access road is absolutely terrible and there is only a certain time of year I would would drive down it and that is coming up.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Speaking of rough roads, I remember when the road to the lighthouse would tear up your truck and boat trailer if you got up to much speed. There were plenty of pot holes.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

We walk into Hickory Mound on a regular basis from the Econfina side. The road does not seem damaged at all but a warden told me that one of the culvert devices was damaged. I haven't seen anyone working on any repairs yet. For those willing to put in the time and effort to make the walk in, it sure is peaceful in there without the traffic.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

fishdux wrote:We walk into Hickory Mound on a regular basis from the Econfina side. The road does not seem damaged at all but a warden told me that one of the culvert devices was damaged. I haven't seen anyone working on any repairs yet. For those willing to put in the time and effort to make the walk in, it sure is peaceful in there without the traffic.
How far of a walk in is it? Can you still drive up to the impoundment? May have to go check it out.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
fishdux wrote:We walk into Hickory Mound on a regular basis from the Econfina side. The road does not seem damaged at all but a warden told me that one of the culvert devices was damaged. I haven't seen anyone working on any repairs yet. For those willing to put in the time and effort to make the walk in, it sure is peaceful in there without the traffic.
How far of a walk in is it? Can you still drive up to the impoundment? May have to go check it out.
You can drive to the gate. It is about a 45 minute walk to the first spillway.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

That might be a little much to do a walk in hunt.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

From what I understand, FDEP is waiting on funds from FEMA to make the repairs.