Ochlocknee Bridge boat ramp?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

StMarksAngler

Ochlocknee Bridge boat ramp?

Post by StMarksAngler »

I'm looking for an easy to use boat ramp to practice loading and unloading with my first boat. I remmeber there's a ramp on the south end of the Ochlocknee bridge that seems like no one ever uses. I haven't been over there in a lot of years though. Is this a bad ramp for a beginner?

How busy does it get on the weekends? Is there somewhere else you all would recommend for me with a 19cc? I don't mind if it's a lake, river, ocean just somewhere that is easy to use and hopefully less busy than other places. Thanks.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Ochlocknee Bridge boat ramp?

Post by silverking »

Better have four-wheel drive and a winch. That ramp silts up badly and is rarely used except by jons and kayaks. Easy to get bogged down. Current rips through there too.

The new ramp at Shell Point isn't usually crowded and is nice and wide with easy access. Sheltered water so no issues with current. Should be good for practice, especially if you go in the middle of the day. There is a ramp fee, but that's going to be the case almost anywhere you go.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

Mashes Sands ramp is right around the corner from the ramp you mention. It is a great ramp for a small to medium size boat. The only problem with this ramp is that once you get outside of the canal, the channel can get pretty confusing without a gps.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The word is out about shell point ramp, It's more crowded than Mashe sands now. If I were practicing I'd go to a freshwater lake so you don't have to wash the boat and trailer after. Jackson, iammonia or the micc would work.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Salty Gator wrote:The word is out about shell point ramp, It's more crowded than Mashe sands now. If I were practicing I'd go to a freshwater lake so you don't have to wash the boat and trailer after. Jackson, iammonia or the micc would work.
Darn it. Knew I should have kept my mouth shut. :wink: Good point about the freshwater rinse.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Ha, the words been out for a while. It was bound to happen. I'm not sure about water levels in the lakes now. Maybe someone w first hand knowledge will chime in.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
geofish

Post by geofish »

Good ramps on south side of Lake Talquin -- Williams Landing has a bit more of a deep water channel if you head west from the ramp
geofish

Post by geofish »

Good ramps on south side of Lake Talquin -- Williams Landing has a bit more of a deep water channel if you head west from the ramp
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

[quote="Salty Gator"]Ha, the words been out for a while. It was bound to happen. /quote]

I contributed by posting photos when it first opened. That's OK. It's still not too crowded when I go in the middle of the week. :wink:
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

I put in one time at the Bridge ramp and my truck got stuck in the sand. Mashes sands is nice.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender