Single Inline Hook question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Pirate

Single Inline Hook question

Post by Pirate »

I am about to replace a bunch of hooks on Mirror Lures, Smithwicks and several other brands artificials. I do get tired of getting the treble hooks out of the fish, nets and sometime, fingers. Will the single inline hooks be just as effective? If so what brand/type do you guys using them recommend?
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Single Inline Hook question

Post by silverking »

Still not convinced of their effectiveness vs. trebles myself, but here are the ones I used to convert:

http://www.rapala.com/vmc/hooks/saltwat ... l#start=40
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

as u probably would assume the hookup ratio isn't gonna be as good on the single hooks vs the trebbles. that being said it isn't much of a difference. i've caught plenty of fish using these new inline single hooks. but it still amazes me how a fish can nearly jerk the rod out of your hands with a bait that has 2 or 3 sets of trebbles and still not get hooked...
now one big thing you will need to experiment with is the hook size. the single hooks don't weigh as much as the trebbles do. so on baits like a mirro dine the lighter single hooks are enough of a difference to make it where the bait will not even sink. on something like a topwater u don't have to worry about it as much because the bait is gonna float regardless. on some of these newer rapala baits(twitchin mullet and x rap) that have these single hooks on them already i have actually swapped the hooks over to trebbles and like the action better.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Great info, Thanks guys
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
mattally

Post by mattally »

Plus much easier on the fish. Can't tell you how many one eyed trout I've caught in my day from those dang trebles.
I prefer barbless myself.