It's been a long time

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ab7bear

It's been a long time

Post by ab7bear »

It's been far too long since I've been on the water down there. Left to go to college, found work and moved a few times, got engaged, and now living in Charleston. It's been +/-10 years now since I spent any amount of time on the Gulf.

We'll be coming home the weekend of 9/9 and staying an extra day. Really thinking about bringing my boat down and spending that extra day out of St. Marks scalloping. The fiance has never been. I've been trying to find reports, and have heard that water clarity was poor and trout bite not doing so well with all the rain. Is it clearing up at all? Any decent scallop reports out of St. Marks? Not interested in driving down to the SE any. I know it'll be a last minute call depending on the weather forecasts, but trying to get my ducks in a row on scalloping reports.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: It's been a long time

Post by silverking »

According to recent reports, the visibility is pretty good right now on the East Flats. Subject to change between now and then, of course.

No first-hand knowledge but scallops are being found in deeper water per a reliable source. Go at low tide and you should be able to gather some. As an alternative to bringing your boat for a day, Shields Marina rents boats. 850-925-6158. They're closed on Mondays.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
ab7bear

Post by ab7bear »

Thanks. Looks like it'll be low in the late mornings those few days so that'll work out. Just hope the rains hold off!

I sent Brett a message to talk about scallop reports but haven't heard back from him yet. Renting it is an option, but it's just not the same to me. :-D It's worth dragging it to be on my own boat if I'm gonna go.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Roger. Understand about wanting to use your own ride. Brett's mom was the source of my intel, but Brett can dial it in a little bit better for specific areas/depths.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat