Sufix 832 braided line problems and alternatives?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gatorgrizz27

Sufix 832 braided line problems and alternatives?

Post by Gatorgrizz27 »

I primarily fly-fish, and have been using the same old spinning equipment for awhile, loaded with Power Pro. I decided to drop the coin on some new spinning gear after being on a few trips with friends where I was unable to fly fish, and went with Daiwa BG reels on Hurricane Calico Jack rods.

I tried out Sufix 832 line in 10 lb on my 2500 series reels, and 20 lb on my 3500 reel. I broke the 10 lb line with my hands tying the leader on, and I regularly tie 8 lb and smaller mono with no issues. The first trip out with the 20 lb rig, I hooked a big bull red that took off and popped the line with minimal pressure. I assumed it was a bad leader knot, but tested the line when I got home and was surprised by what I found.

Tying surgeon's loops in the end of the line sections, the 10 lb Sufix 832 broke at under 7.5 lbs on a digital scale, and the 20 lb broke between 14 and 15 lbs. I tested it multiple times, and all breaks were in the middle of the line, rather than at the knots.

I contacted Sufix detailing my issues, including the serial numbers of the spools, and that I purchased it from Amazon this month, and their reply was that I should just return it.

I was pretty speechless after finding the line to break at 75% of it's rating, when most braided line (including Sufix) typically breaks at 50% more than its rating. I had assumed they would want my spools back to see what the issue was and ship me replacements, but apparently they don't seem to care.

I'm torn as to whether I should give it another shot as I've heard nothing but good about the line, but I also would prefer to not give them any of my money if that is their level of customer service and concern about quality control. Not to mention, I've dropped nearly $100 spooling these 3 rigs and lost the biggest red I've ever hooked.

Anyone else have issues with the line breaking so easily, or a better alternative? I've looked at Fins, Power Pro, Spiderwire, and the Daiwa line, but Sufix seems to be the best, assuming that it can actually handle a fish at the load it's rated for.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Sufix 832 braided line problems and alternatives?

Post by Salty Gator »

I've heard of counterfeit line breaking like you describe. Maybe that's it or maybe just a ad batch. Pretty frustrating I'm sure. I'd be looking for alternatives also. You may have better luck taking your spools to your tackle store and having them spool them for you. You get exactly what fits on the spool without having to try to split a spool, and no twist. Kevin's does a good job. I've ever had a problem with original power pro, pp super slick or diawa j braid. I used 832 once, and it seemed to frey quickly. Didn't have a problem with it breaking though. I hope you get it worked out. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Gatorgrizz27

Post by Gatorgrizz27 »

Salty Gator wrote:I've heard of counterfeit line breaking like you describe. Maybe that's it or maybe just a ad batch. Pretty frustrating I'm sure. I'd be looking for alternatives also. You may have better luck taking your spools to your tackle store and having them spool them for you. You get exactly what fits on the spool without having to try to split a spool, and no twist. Kevin's does a good job. I've ever had a problem with original power pro, pp super slick or diawa j braid. I used 832 once, and it seemed to frey quickly. Didn't have a problem with it breaking though. I hope you get it worked out. Good luck
Thanks for the reply. I suspected it might have been counterfeit also since I ordered it from Amazon. I did a search for "fake Sufix" and didn't find anything, and that is why I included the serial number when I emailed Sufix, but they didn't seem to think it was a problem.

Unfortunately, Academy, Bass Pro, Dick's, and Kevin's don't stock the longer spools of Sufix. I did buy one of the Daiwa reels from Kevin's, but had them spool it with mono, since they didn't have the 10 lb Sufix on hand.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I had issues with 832 as well, I use daiwa jbraid x8 instead now, amazon has 500m spools of the multicolor for only $25 at times.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I have been an avid user of Sufix 832 for the past 3-4 years. Some of my reels have line that is that old. I have tried power-pro, diamond braid, ohero, spiderwire and another that I can't recall right now.
The 832 has performed very well. Knot strength, and abrasion resistance has been excellent. Any line failures have been of my own doing. I have only used the 10# as I feel the 20# is just not as "sporting" as lighter line, plus I get slightly longer casts with it.
The majority of wind knot problems I have had seem to come from either over-spooling or line roller problems, but I have never had a breakage issue.
I would give it another try, I think you will be satisfied with the line in the long run. Before you spend the time and effort respooling you might want to test the replacement first.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I don't recall what I first tried in braid, but it was turrible. Wind knots, frayed knots, breaking, etc. I switched to Power Pro and it has been so consistent, I have never tried anything else. There may be better out there, but I know the Power Pro does what I need. I use the 20# and I have caught 6+ foot bull shark, monster black drum, too many over reds to count, big rays, etc. I use the 20 just because I started with it and it casts as far as I need and has lasted a very long time on several reels and has good abrasion resistance. Typically use a uni-uni to 20 or 30# flouro leader, unless I am shark fishing (or likely to hook a shark) and then I use either 60 flouro or 100 mono, either tied with an Albright. I have used wire if I am targeting sharks, but that does not happen often.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I've never had a bad a problem with 832 other than the price. but good braid isn't cheap. I've tried J braid this year and I've been very happy with it. I used FIN's for a few years but it's always been hard to find in stores in my areas. OHERO makes another good braid but again, hard to find in stores.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Braid usually doesn't break like that, but I know it will if it's old. I used one of Dad's spinning reels that had older power pro on it, and it broke just about every time I hooked a decent fish. Switched to 15 lb. mono and started landing fish again. It must have an expiration date like most everything else, just my .02. :wink:
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

After experimenting with several brands, including the Sufix 832, I have settled on Power Pro Super 8 Slick for most of my reels. It casts easily, holds up well and I haven't had any breakage issues. On the reels for local waters I spool with 10-pound timber brown and for the reels I take on trips I use 15-pound, usually in the aqua green.

Sounds like you may have some bad or old spools of line. I keep all mine (mono included) in a sealed ammo gun in the garage so it's not exposed to the elements.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Spiderwire and Power Pro are the way to go. We have both of them and suffix braid in stock and will line your reels 10 cent per yard.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I've used everything braid wise. Slick 8 is the best IMO. Followed by standard PP and Suffix. Sounds like you got a bad batch, but I'd try something else if I were you, just for the fact you took the time to test the line and provide serial numbers and they still blew you off.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:I've used everything braid wise. Slick 8 is the best IMO. Followed by standard PP and Suffix. Sounds like you got a bad batch, but I'd try something else if I were you, just for the fact you took the time to test the line and provide serial numbers and they still blew you off.
Amen. I had some suture come untied post-operatively in a spay. Been doing it for a very long time and never had that happen. 2 spays in 2 weeks. I set that lot of suture aside and called the manufacturer. They sent a ticket for overnight delivery back to their main office. In three days they called and said that the suture was defective, replaced it with double the amount and recalled everything from that lot # (I know that is true because we got the letter they sent out to everyone). THAT is customer service and quality control. While more important than fishing line, to the company that makes the fishing line, the fishing line should be more important (if they want to keep selling it).

Great customer service keeps me more loyal than price, by a long shot.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

onefishtwofish wrote:
Apalachee Inshore wrote:I've used everything braid wise. Slick 8 is the best IMO. Followed by standard PP and Suffix. Sounds like you got a bad batch, but I'd try something else if I were you, just for the fact you took the time to test the line and provide serial numbers and they still blew you off.
Amen. I had some suture come untied post-operatively in a spay. Been doing it for a very long time and never had that happen. 2 spays in 2 weeks. I set that lot of suture aside and called the manufacturer. They sent a ticket for overnight delivery back to their main office. In three days they called and said that the suture was defective, replaced it with double the amount and recalled everything from that lot # (I know that is true because we got the letter they sent out to everyone). THAT is customer service and quality control. While more important than fishing line, to the company that makes the fishing line, the fishing line should be more important (if they want to keep selling it).

Great customer service keeps me more loyal than price, by a long shot.
Wow, that sucks. A lost fish is one thing, but a dehiscence or a busted ligature is much much worse. What kind of suture was it?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Don't recall the brand (off) but some form of PDS
Gatorgrizz27

Post by Gatorgrizz27 »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm sending the Sufix back and I ordered some J-Braid. Hopefully it can handle what it is rated for.