Scouting 9/5/17

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

milto
Site Sponsor

Scouting 9/5/17

Post by milto »

Myself, George and a buddy went down to the Hatch yesterday to do some scouting for our upcoming tournament. We put in at the city ramp and decided to head north first because there was a small storm south. Right off the bat we got into fish, mostly trout with a single jack crevalle. We just kept moving slightly north as we would stop when we saw good looking bottom. Our next stop a pretty big spanny smacked George's topwater. It was probably 4+lbs. As we were moving north still, we were in about 2 ft of water just slow cruising looking for reds hanging out on the flats when we were seeing swimming scallops everywhere. We decided to jump out and start picking them up. We were literally in knee high water with no mask filling our limit. I was surprised there were still that many to easily harvest this late in the season. After playing with some more trout and filling the box with scallops we decided to head south towards Pepperfish. When we got down there we were rewarded with redfish everywhere!! Wait, it was ladyfish... No wait, it was floating grass?!? I keep getting it confused :lol: . Ended the day with reds, trout, spanish and scallops in the box and mostly flat seas. Sure wish it would stay like that for Saturday, but looks like its gonna be a bumpy ride if the tournament stays on for this Saturday.
reelbad

Re: Scouting 9/5/17

Post by reelbad »

milto wrote:Myself, George and a buddy went down to the Hatch yesterday to do some scouting for our upcoming tournament. We put in at the city ramp and decided to head north first because there was a small storm south. Right off the bat we got into fish, mostly trout with a single jack crevalle. We just kept moving slightly north as we would stop when we saw good looking bottom. Our next stop a pretty big spanny smacked George's topwater. It was probably 4+lbs. As we were moving north still, we were in about 2 ft of water just slow cruising looking for reds hanging out on the flats when we were seeing swimming scallops everywhere. We decided to jump out and start picking them up. We were literally in knee high water with no mask filling our limit. I was surprised there were still that many to easily harvest this late in the season. After playing with some more trout and filling the box with scallops we decided to head south towards Pepperfish. When we got down there we were rewarded with redfish everywhere!! Wait, it was ladyfish... No wait, it was floating grass?!? I keep getting it confused :lol: . Ended the day with reds, trout, spanish and scallops in the box and mostly flat seas. Sure wish it would stay like that for Saturday, but looks like its gonna be a bumpy ride if the tournament stays on for this Saturday.
Good report, so what you are really saying is head north and catch fish and head south and get scallops. Got It. :-D :beer:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Scouting 9/5/17

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks for the report. Interesting about all the scallops! :roll:
Yours in the South