Maryland Record Sheepshead

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Maryland Record Sheepshead

Post by silverking »

Long way from the Gulf, I know, but this is a whooper convict fish...

Robert Martin Hauls in 18-pound Fish

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources has confirmed a teenager from Carroll County set a new state fishing record in the Atlantic Division for sheepshead.

Sykesville resident Robert Martin, 17, caught an 18-pound sheepshead Sept. 22 off the coast of Ocean City.

After hearing rumors sheepshead were biting, Robert and his father, Brad Martin, took a few days off to fish in Ocean City. The father and son duo caught a staggering 11 sheepshead on their first day out on the water. Around 9 a.m. their second day out, Robert felt an unusually strong tug on the line.

"It was heavier than the rest; I knew this one was different," Martin said. Still, he was "amazed" when he pulled the big fish aboard the boat.

The catch was officially weighed and certified by the Ocean City Fishing Center. The fish replaces Raymond Daniels' 13-year-old record Atlantic Division 17.5-pound sheepshead he caught at the Ocean City Inlet.

The department maintains state records for sport fish in four divisions – Atlantic, Chesapeake, Nontidal and Invasive – and awards plaques to anglers who achieve record catches. Fish caught from privately-owned, fee-fishing waters are ineligible for consideration.
2358288.jpg
2358288.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Geno67

Re: Maryland Record Sheepshead

Post by Geno67 »

That is a monster.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Maryland Record Sheepshead

Post by DixieReb »

It looks like a big tripletail with stripes! Nice one. My Dad caught a 10 lb. one when I was a kid, and I thought that was as big as they get.
Yours in the South