Tsunami Shield Reel/Carbon Shield Rod Review

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Tsunami Shield Reel/Carbon Shield Rod Review

Post by silverking »

When it comes to inshore tackle, price is not always a true measure of quality. The new Shield spinning reels and Carbon Shield rods by Tsunami are perfect examples. With sticker prices that won’t break the bank, this tackle has the features and performance of outfits costing twice as much. I’ve been using the 3000 Shield reel and 7-foot medium action Carbon Shield rod several times in recent weeks and both exceeded expectations with upper-slot trout.

The Shield reels (four models from 3000 to 6000) are built tough to handle the rigors and abuse of the saltwater environment. With up to 13 internal seals, they can take a dunking and keep on cranking without pause. I purposely submerged my test reel while wading and it never missed a beat. Other construction qualities include an anodized hybrid body, beefy bail and a machined aluminum spool with braid-friendly rubber insert. A butter-smooth drag with CF3 carbon fiber, audible adjustment clicks and five sealed stainless steel bearings add to the silky operation. The 3000 can hold 220 yards of 10-pound braid and has a 5.1:1 gear ratio.

The companion Carbon Shield rods (two each in 7-foot and 7’6” lengths in medium and medium heavy actions) are built using IM9 graphite blanks with a solid carbon tip for extra strength. Premium cork with split grips and Fuji guides with aluminum oxide inserts complete the package. The medium rod casts light shrimp lures a nautical mile and has plenty of backbone to whip trophy fish without sacrificing the sensitivity to detect subtle taps.

With water resistant integrity and durable construction, the Shield reel/rod combo is ideal for smaller boats and skiffs, kayaks or wading where high-sticking and splashes are often a problem. With price tags of $99.99 for the 3000/4000 reels and $109 to $119 for the rods, this is one Tsunami you’ll be glad to see heading your way!

Available on-line, at major sporting goods retailers like Dick’s or independent bait and tackle shops.

—Capt. Dave Lear
IMG_7528.jpg
IMG_7530.jpg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Re: Tsunami Shield Reel/Carbon Shield Rod Review

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Capt Dave covered it pretty well there. I'll just add I really like this Shield reel, obviously the seal internal components are great especially for someone like me who is rough on equipment, but it's super smooth drag and retrieve wise. Also very cool looking and comfortable with that eva handle. It's probably my favorite reel right now, definitely at that $100 price point. The carbon Shield rod is a workhouse, built to take a beating. I also have the 7' medium action and it handles overlot trout and upper slot reds no problem, with good sensitivity.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Did they update the reels? I thought the 3000 and 4000 series weren't submersible.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:Did they update the reels? I thought the 3000 and 4000 series weren't submersible.
It is submersible the just advise not to turn the handle while submerged.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

That's the 5000+ sizes, unless something has changed the 3000 and 4000 were not as well sealed as the 5000+ sizes.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

3000/4000 reels have 10 internal seals for water resistance, while the larger two have 13.

As I mentioned, I did dunk my 3000 with no ill effects. Rinsed it off thoroughly afterwards and haven't had any lingering issues.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Reading the specifications on other websites, it appears that the 3000 and 4000 sizes come with carbon fiber drag washers already in them. These reels seem like they have a lot of features normally found only on more expensive models. I may have to try one.

I am having trouble with some of the felt drag washers in the Stradics right now.

- Steve Stinson
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Gotcha, I heard the reel had been updated and was curious if that was one of the changes.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Steve Stinson wrote:Reading the specifications on other websites, it appears that the 3000 and 4000 sizes come with carbon fiber drag washers already in them. These reels seem like they have a lot of features normally found only on more expensive models. I may have to try one.

I am having trouble with some of the felt drag washers in the Stradics right now.

- Steve Stinson

I've always liked Shimano reels but I think they have cut some corners the last few years, I had already started moving towards Penn, until I can across this Shield.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the derail, Juan.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

silverking wrote:Thanks for the derail, Juan.
Sorry, wasn't meant to be a derail...Just an attempt at a little inside humor. :hammer:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
mastercaster

Post by mastercaster »

I can't be the first one that points out this reads like an advertisement.

Did you get this stuff for free?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

As a contributing writer to several national publications, yes, I do get some gear gratis for testing. That was the case with this combo. It is good quality tackle, however, and I thought forum members might be interested in checking it out, especially since it is sold at such a reasonable price point. I also mentioned the components and materials since Tsunami's hasn't added this gear to its web site yet.

Other gear I purchase at retail or media discounts. If I test something that I cannot recommend personally I do not write a review and have returned many items to the manufacturer.

Fishing magazines, outdoor television shows and even web sites like this one depend upon advertisers and sponsors to survive.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

[/quote] Sorry, wasn't meant to be a derail...Just an attempt at a little inside humor. :hammer:[/quote]

:thumbup: I was smirking as I typed that, as a certain banished forum member would have certainly added his .02.