Climate change benefit

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Climate change benefit

Post by silverking »

Pretty work, Cotton. :thumbup:

The key to snook surviving in the Crystal River area is the abundance of springs. The warm water offers sanctuary during the winter months. Makes sense they could migrate a little bit further north with similar conditions around Spring Warrior and the SMNWR. Doubt those 17-inchers swam all the way from Homosassa, so in all likelihood there is some established breeding going on.

Snook are a fantastic game fish. As Gary mentioned in his original post this might be the only redeeming benefit to global warming/climate change.

Read a report the other day that an La Nina trend is expected for this winter. Traditionally that means warmer/drier weather for the Southeast. So snook catches may become even more routine by next spring.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Man.. I want to catch a snook.

This thread for me when from, "hey that's awesome someone caught a snook up here" To "what am I doing wrong, why haven't I caught one?" Lol
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow never thought they would be this far north

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:Man.. I want to catch a snook.

This thread for me when from, "hey that's awesome someone caught a snook up here" To "what am I doing wrong, why haven't I caught one?" Lol
Must not be throwing a DOA BaitBuster. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I'm happy to show folks just where I caught my snook - and other fishy predators. But you gotta be willing to bust your hump and get in a workout. Captain Dave can vouch for that!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

GaryDroze wrote:I'm happy to show folks just where I caught my snook - and other fishy predators. But you gotta be willing to bust your hump and get in a workout. Captain Dave can vouch for that!
Maybe not, I heard of two other snook caught on Sat....Maybe instead of climate change, maybe it was hurricane ?
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Gary I'll let you have that spot to yourself. There is enough fish that can be caught from my boat to keep me busy.

Gulf Coast, that is an interesting thought about the hurricane.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

The hurricane makes more sense than climate change.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Bob Stearns' water temperature fishing guide lists these temps for snook...

minimum: 60
preferred: 70-82
maximum: 90

I've been wadefishing the St Marks Refuge creeks for 21 years. Until 2014, the temperature in the Deep Creek canals had always dropped into the 70s (average: 74) by mid-October. It has been ticking up each year since. Did not have my thermometer with me Friday, so when I got home I checked the NOAA site for closest buoy data. Showed water temp at the time of my catch at Shell Point was 81.1 degrees.

I predict that by next fall snook will be a "mystery fish" candidate in the NFGFC tourneys.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

GaryDroze wrote:Bob Stearns' water temperature fishing guide lists these temps for snook...

minimum: 60
preferred: 70-82
maximum: 90

I've been wadefishing the St Marks Refuge creeks for 21 years. Until 2014, the temperature in the Deep Creek canals had always dropped into the 70s (average: 74) by mid-October. It has been ticking up each year since. Did not have my thermometer with me Friday, so when I got home I checked the NOAA site for closest buoy data. Showed water temp at the time of my catch at Shell Point was 81.1 degrees.

I predict that by next fall snook will be a "mystery fish" candidate in the NFGFC tourneys.
According to my lowrance, at 8am Friday the water temp near spring warrior creek was 79 degrees.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I don't know much about Snook but I've seen Sheephead in a certain little river that connects to another river through a mad made canal, that connects to the ocean. Fish do whatever they want lol!