St Joes Bay/ Apalachicola Bay Help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dcfishing

St Joes Bay/ Apalachicola Bay Help

Post by dcfishing »

Hello Everyone,

I am traveling to Cape San Blas about mid-November for a week and will be fishing out of my kayak mostly looking to fish for Redfish and Speckled Trout in the bays. I have never fished in this area before and need some advice on areas to go and what type of bait to use. I will be staying near the bait store on 30E (Scallop Cove) but expect to travel to St. George Island for a day or two. Just from what I read the weather and water temps have a major influence on the fish and how active they will be. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: St Joes Bay/ Apalachicola Bay Help

Post by silverking »

The fall season is in full swing (like the Astros and Dodgers). Water temps have dropped into the 60s with this cold snap but should moderate later in the week with air temps back into the low 80s. The game fish know this is the prime stretch to feed before winter.

The main forage in St. Joe Bay is shrimp. A DOA 1/4-ounce in gold glitter or near clear, either plain or under a clacker cork, is very effective. Aqua Dream or Capt. Mike's weedless willow blade spoons in 3/8-ounce size is a good search bait for reds and the trout like 'em too. I'd also recommend one rod rigged with a noisy topwater plug such as a Skitter Walk or Super Spook.

Eagle Harbor (state park) is a good starting point to fish the shore north and south. Look for broken bottom with grass and sand potholes. In St. Joe the water is so clear you can often sight-fish. There are places along the back side of St. George where that's possible too if the winds/weather hasn't murked up the shallows. Launch sites at the ramp just as you come off the bridge on the left on SGI or down the trails from the campground in the state park.

Do a search of fishing reports on here for more information on both locales. Good luck and post up the results.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
dcfishing

Post by dcfishing »

Silverking, thanks for your help!
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

If you a using a kayak you might be closer to some good bars at SGI if you put in at the state park ramps, and the :x re are two.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Capt Ron

Post by Capt Ron »

Rather than go all the way to SGI, I'd launch at Indian Pass and fish the oyster bars to the north and west of the ramp. Pull it up on Google Earth and take a look.
dcfishing

Post by dcfishing »

Does anyone know if it will be better to fish near the river mouths, up the rivers or the intrascoastal waterways during this time? From what I have read fish (redfish/trout) clear out of the bays and move to these areas. I will only have a few days after I arrive this Friday so I am trying to make the most of my time. Any help will really be appreciated. Thanks.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Water temps in the upper 60s with the current weather. The fish will still be on the flats. Don't move into the ICW and rivers until it really gets cold.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat