Snook in local water!?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Snook in local water!?

Post by silverking »

Very nice fish. I knew there were around offshore, as SG mentioned, but hadn't heard of any caught in close. Wonder if it was part of a school that just wandered in?

Snook, permit, I'm sure bonefish are next. Maybe this global warming trend ain't so bad after all. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Redbelly, was there a recent tropical storm/ hurricane when you caught that stud permit?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I would not believe it if I did not see the pictures, but David from Specialty Sportswear showed me two recent photos of him posing with whopper bonefish, with St George Island cut clearly in the background. He is sending pix to FWC for confirmation. Crazy!
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I can't remember about tropical storm, but will ask Blackshear. I do remember that we had to wait for a thunder storm to pass prior to launching. Blackshear was in a hurry and backed the boat into one of the yellow/orange concrete pylons. He still has the marks on the back of his Pathfinder.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

GaryDroze wrote:I would not believe it if I did not see the pictures, but David from Specialty Sportswear showed me two recent photos of him posing with whopper bonefish, with St George Island cut clearly in the background. He is sending pix to FWC for confirmation. Crazy!
Wow! Hope its so. However its not that unusual for animals to venture far from home range. In the case of fish, nobody sees them unless the fish happens to fall for a fishermans offering.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

eightwt wrote:
GaryDroze wrote:I would not believe it if I did not see the pictures, but David from Specialty Sportswear showed me two recent photos of him posing with whopper bonefish, with St George Island cut clearly in the background. He is sending pix to FWC for confirmation. Crazy!
Wow! Hope its so. However its not that unusual for animals to venture far from home range. In the case of fish, nobody sees them unless the fish happens to fall for a fishermans offering.
I guess it is semantics, but I think most seasoned fishermen would consider a bonefish in our area very unusual
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I used to think tarpon were out of our range, but they are fairly common at certain times of year. And manatees in the Aucilla?
Yours in the South
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Bones here are unusual, but critters wander for whatever reasons as habitat allows. Just saw the other day an opah, aka moonfish, caught off Ocean City, MD. Manatees are seen occassionly in the Chesapeake Bay. Now if bones were reproducing here, that would be something! Sometimes animals just don't read the textbooks.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Hoping lobsters on the flats are next.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I caught a peacock bass in lake Jackson the other day. :smt077
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

eightwt wrote:Bones here are unusual, but critters wander for whatever reasons as habitat allows. Just saw the other day an opah, aka moonfish, caught off Ocean City, MD. Manatees are seen occassionly in the Chesapeake Bay. Now if bones were reproducing here, that would be something! Sometimes animals just don't read the textbooks.
Of course they do, but catching a bonefish on hook and like in our are is extremely rare. As in probably only a couple (if that many) ever. And not just blown off as "not that unusual. It's very unusual and very special any way you look at it.
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Redbelly wrote:I was told by a woman at JR's yesterday that lots of snook are being caught locally.

WHAT?! :-D
was at Shields last Friday and Brett told me that someone had caught on that morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I wouldn't be surprised to hear about or even catch snook up here. I wouldn't expect it as a common thing but I had a few places in Jacksonville that I could count on catching a snook from time to time. When we didn't have cold winters, the snook tolerated the temps around Jax quite well. The last REALLY cold winter in Jax where we had fish kills, there were a large number of legal size and larger snook that were found floating in Jacksonville. Then it went where we had a few more warmer winters and it took about 2 years but we started catching snook again in Jax. If it doesn't get cold enough every year to keep them away, then I wouldn't be surprised at all to find a snook wandering around the waters up here.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Danibeth wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to hear about or even catch snook up here. I wouldn't expect it as a common thing but I had a few places in Jacksonville that I could count on catching a snook from time to time. When we didn't have cold winters, the snook tolerated the temps around Jax quite well. The last REALLY cold winter in Jax where we had fish kills, there were a large number of legal size and larger snook that were found floating in Jacksonville. Then it went where we had a few more warmer winters and it took about 2 years but we started catching snook again in Jax. If it doesn't get cold enough every year to keep them away, then I wouldn't be surprised at all to find a snook wandering around the waters up here.
Well I’ve never caught one and I’ve been fishing here my whole life so I would say it is rare.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
Danibeth wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to hear about or even catch snook up here. I wouldn't expect it as a common thing but I had a few places in Jacksonville that I could count on catching a snook from time to time. When we didn't have cold winters, the snook tolerated the temps around Jax quite well. The last REALLY cold winter in Jax where we had fish kills, there were a large number of legal size and larger snook that were found floating in Jacksonville. Then it went where we had a few more warmer winters and it took about 2 years but we started catching snook again in Jax. If it doesn't get cold enough every year to keep them away, then I wouldn't be surprised at all to find a snook wandering around the waters up here.
Well I’ve never caught one and I’ve been fishing here my whole life so I would say it is rare.
I'm with you. Until this year is was very rare. It's not uncommon to catch snook in Jax. I've wondered why they are common in Jax and relatively unheard of here, since longitudinally, our coast and their coast are similar. Still haven't heard of anyone catching a slot on overslot here, which happens in Jax.