Another Louisiana trip

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LucWilliams

Another Louisiana trip

Post by LucWilliams »

I was lucky enough to be able to sneak over to Louisiana post Thanksgiving for 3 days of fishing. We just had to go because the weather looked unbelievable so Pops, myself, and my fiancée Savannah left in the wee hours of the morning on Friday morning. We have done this trip twice a year many years dating back 4-5 years so we have the logistics pretty well figured out. We planned to fish Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and then travel home Monday. Friday and Saturday looked like perfect conditions with Sunday just a bit more windy. It was one hell of a trip. Pops got the big fish on day 1 with a 36 pounder.. our new record biggest that we have caught over there. This fish was in about a foot of water and was backing for 15 minutes while I poled us up on him. I could literally see his back from 100 yards away and was practically crapping my pants the whole time I was poling up for Pops to put a shot on him. Pops made a perfect shot, and we won the battle.

Day one resulted in many more slot fish, but no other big ones.

Day 2 we caught 5-6 fish that were 10-20 pounds and a ton more slots but none that were huge. Savannah had the big fish of the day at 17 pounds.

Day 3 was a bit more windy but we still got lucky enough to catch a mess of slots and one big fish for Sav. Hers topped the scales at 34 pounds and ate her lure approximately 2 feet from the boat. You can’t make this stuff up.. I was joking that he almost hit his head on the boat when he ate her lure. I guess that’s what happens when you’re poling towards the fish and he is coming at you.. we just were lucky enough he ate instead of spooked.

ImageImage

We caught more tailers, backers, and crawlers than I can count. Unbelievable trip.. 99% of the fish sight fished. I think we caught 2 or 3 blind casting. Can’t wait to go back!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Another Louisiana trip

Post by DixieReb »

Yikes, don't lose that diamond, girl! Looks like a real blast, glad you got some big ones. Did you catch and trout or other fish?
Yours in the South
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Caught one trout. Since we were exclusively sight fishing, chances of catching anything else don't even really exists. We are only casting if we are looking at a redfish.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nicely done Luc, Savannah and Pops! Those are some memorable reds, for sure. Sounds like you've got the Marsh Madness dialed in pretty good. Your lady angler adds some nice color accents with her pink rod and yellow Crocs. :thumbup:

I'm heading back over for a couple trips next year. Love that Cajun fishery.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

WOW!
Great trip!!! :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Great job Luc. It has to be the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
killswitch

Post by killswitch »

Nice trip :thumbup: We were down around Venice about 3 weeks ago and had a blast. What area you guys fish?
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

We were north from where you were.. we were just south of Nawlins
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Great trip and great pics. That is one crazy fishery. I am heading back at the end of December for our annual blast and cast and would love to hang one of those big bulls.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Awesome
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Very very nice. What general area, if I might ask? Someday would like to make a trip.
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Hopedale
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow! Man those are some beast, great trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk